Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Pit - Burt 'Grillin' Blanchard here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Pit - Burt 'Grillin' Blanchard here

Fellow grill masters - Howdy! My name is (mi llamo es) Burt Blanchard, and I'm new to the Pit. Thanks for taking my payment to join the club (lol)! My desire to smoke every meat I can get my hands on came two years ago. After 20+ years of gas grilling, and a weekend camping trip where we used charcoal outdoors to cook our frozen-patty hamburgers for the troop - that lead me to switch back to charcoal. That lead to searching sites for ALL good recipes I could find on 'low 'n slow' grilling. 'Amazingribs.com' was the second site I came across. It's been two years and I finally feel like I'm inching my way out of the 'beginner' column, lol! This site is a blessing and not only gives you tips, recipes and the like, but also the science behind your meats, and answers the 'why' you should do something this way/that, etc.

So, I'm looking forward to better tips, graduating from where I started, where I'm at, to get to where I want to be. I started with going out on craigslist right after that camping trip to find a grill - cold! Figured I go with a Weber because that's what I knew and heard was best. So, scored a deal on an 18". That lasted 2 weeks, I posted that grill for sale (got it looking almost new with a pumice stone and a little Comet - ha!), and graduated to a 22". Did that for a year, then last year, found a deal from a guy who got a 26" Weber kettle from his father as a wedding gift - and he hated charcoal grilling. So, talked him down and out of that grill - and that's what I use. Smoked ribs mostly, but looking to do more.

And that came two days ago when I tried a high-heat version of Texas beef brisket. I used some of the technique and rub here, but cooked at a higher temp to cut time down to about 5 hours - and it came out great for the fam Christmas Eve dinner. 'Mmmmm' is all I heard. Pictures attached after the grills I posted. The gas grill I use mainly for vegetables when the 26" Weber is filled to capacity. Otherwise, I'm cooking on the charcoals.

So if anyone reading this needs to justify joining, or needs more encouragement - you'll have to just take a dive, go by faith and believe what you've just read, and the other posts to move to just do it! It's worth joining and these recipes are awesome - as are the tips that go with trying out smoke grilling. My tools for smoking - mostly Weber for now, check out the pics attached!

Welcome Burt. That 26-incher is a nice big grill. Should give you plenty of room to do some great low & slow or fast & hot for that matter. Nothing wrong with higher temps - depending on who you ask, you'll hear of 225, 275, 325 - whatever works for you.

Comment

• burtgrillinblanch
      burtgrillinblanch commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you The Burn...thanks!

Welcome, Burt!

Comment

• burtgrillinblanch
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik! Grill on...!

Welcome Burt! I love your story. We're glad you're here.

Comment

• burtgrillinblanch
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Pit Boss! Looking forward to reading yours and getting great tips. Grill on...!

Hi Burt, welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Welcome aboard Burt

Comment

Welcome Burt! AWESOME intro post! It was a pleasure reading your post and 'meeting' you. You will fit in nicely here with your enthusiasm. I like the idea of a 26" grill too....but after using the Smokey Joe as my kettle ("Baby Weber" I call it, sometime "Web' Jr.") anything else seems really big.

I think you did great on your brisket, the pic of it sliced looks very moist. Have you tried a longer hold? Like 1-3 hrs? A longer faux cambro hold softens things more. But it looks like your was all it needed to be!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos!

Again, welcome aboard and hope to hear more from you!

Comment

• burtgrillinblanch
      Editing a comment
      This is awesome Huskee - thanks! Love the name - 'Baby Weber...Web Jr.' - too funny! I started to read it and got distracted. I'm going back to do that. Up next - bacon from scratch. Thanks again Huskee, and grill on!

Welcome, was happy to see 15 pics, we love pics around here.

Comment

• burtgrillinblanch
      Editing a comment
      Thanks John, then I'll appease this group just fine! Have to take pix of this stuff when you get it done right. A memory of good eats I say. Grill on!

Welcome, BGB! What a great intro! Just a comment on your 26" Weber. If this is the model I think it is (and I have and love), the cover can just be rolled up to vertical, and stay there. In this configuration, the cover makes a really outstanding wind sail on a breezy day. One nice gust, and bye bye grill. Been There, Done That! Look forward to reading your posts. Here's to good eats!

Comment

• burtgrillinblanch
      Editing a comment
      Hey Richinlbrg - you got that right on the head! It's the 26" kettle, and that baby has a back guard whereby you just take the lid and slide back vertically. Exactly right. I almost had one of those gust days , but was right there to avert the spillage. I'd a' been one made griller that day - no wasting good meat here! Looking forward to reading your posts. Grill on....!

Hey Burt! Welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Burt! Enjoyed the pics!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here