Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas miracle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas miracle?

Well, got a new smoker for Xmas, and my kids got me this membership as per my request. I had a crappy masterbuilt setup with the external smoke generator. Not so good at maintaining a steady temp. However, I did figure out what I was doing with help from this site and my other friends that smoke meat. Varied group, some electric, some green egg, all pretty much nuts?
    No, I am not a purist as I do use electric, it is too easy to dismiss. This time around I got a cookshack sm45, it is literally built like a tank. Only seasoned, have not used yet. Xmass is turkey that I do in a bag in the oven as it always comes out great, not taking any risks on the xmass dinner. At least not yet.

Look forward to learning more, really appreciate the scientific approach to smoking that this site provides. As we all know cooking is more art than science, but, science really helps to understand what you are doing and why it is happening.

Oh, and Meathead is the man! (had to say that)

Wow, congrats!!!

That ain't no cheapy.

Comment

Hey chud, thats great! Welcome to the pit as well.

Comment

Welcome, beautiful smoker!

Comment

Welcome Chud. We gotta help you get that turkey out of the bag!

Comment

Cookshack is the Cadillac of electrics. Only Dad's who've been extra good get Christmas gifts like this from their kids. Happy Holidays!

Comment

Welcome Chudz. Nice gift. This place will definitely help you get the most out of that cooker. I think Doc Blonder, in our most recent seminar on wood and smoke, gave some hints on how to best get smokiness out of an electric.

Comment

Yes, it was pricey, but, you only live once? I have smoked a turkey breast and it came out great, but, I really like the stuffing I make in the bird, so bag in the oven it is for now. Beef is where I need help! I have done 2 briskets, edible, yet, not as good as in the restaurants? Pork butts I can get better than the restaurants? So, something has to improve with my beef method. I suspect trying different ideas would help, just have not done enough.

Comment

Welcome Chudzikb, holding out for what you really want is so worth it. I really, really want a Primo Kamado type cooker, but they are hideously expensive. Since we are breaking ground on a new house this spring, I need to save money and wait. It will be so worth it when we finally can get that bad boy. As far as your brisket is concerned, there are some "guru" quality folks here for brisket. Brisket is my weak point too, and I'm a professional chef and line dog. You'll never learn it all, but you will have fun trying! Hell, after 35+ years in the business, I'm still learning every day. I hope you feel the same joy we all do when doing your cooks. Greetings and good tidings from Houston, Alaska.

Comment

Strat, Alaska? That adds new meaning to cooking in the cold! I grill out and smoke all year long, keep my stuff in the garage. Space is rare, but, always nice to keep the equipment in good shape. Outdoors is hard on a grill, I bet just as hard on a smoker. So, inside they stay. Open the door for ventilation when necessary.

Comment

• Strat50
                      Strat50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We have a small covered porch just outside the kitchen which works out. The cold is not a big deal, really. When it gets real cold, there is little or no wind. It's when it warms up that the fun begins(wind) lol...

Working on my fist cook with the new smoker. 2 picnic shoulders. Have them dry brined, waiting some time for it to absorb, then rub with Memphis Dust, and in. I usually wrap with some garlic, apple juice, and barbecue sauce mixture at around 150. Uses a mere 4 oz of hickory wood. I think I burned a log in my old set up, good times...

Comment

Welcome chudzikb! Congrats on the new smoker. You're in the right place to hone your skills and master that new Cookshack.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here