Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Shingle Springs CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rodkeary Tri tip is big all over Nkrthern California now, I understand it started in Central coast, in Santa Maria. Interestingly enough, I have entered the Silicon Valley BBQ contest a few times, had a first place and a second place finish. The technique is a reverse sear, cook over low, indirect heat to 118°, then wrap and hold until 10 min before turn in. Back on super high to sear on all sides, brush with a touch of bbq sauce, then slice it up. A big mistake many folks make is the slicing, it must be across the grain and keep it thin. I’ve had tri tip sandwiches in restaraunts where is wasn’t sliced properly, making it tough.

The other thing we do, which is unusual is a mild injection. Not that this cut will dry out with such a short cook, but it added some richness and amped the beefy flavor, we inject with Beef Demi-Glacé.

Tri tip used to be a cheap cut, not its gone the way of skirt, flank and all the other trendy cuts...it’s gone way up in price. I buy prime from Costco.

Comment

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      Much appreciated. I'm going to give this a try. I can only access choice (and I have to drive to the Costco in Bellingham, WA to get it). Other than BBQ sauce do you use any rub or spices?

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      You probably have a few of us stampedin to our cookers to give your technique a try. Cool!

• SierraBBQGuy
      SierraBBQGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Combo of The Rub Co Santa Maria and Smokin Guns Hot. I also regularly use just plain ole Montreal Steak for average backyard cooks. As far as sauce, not really looking for too much flavor, I don’t want to distract from the beef flavor. At this particular contest, I am also doing chicken and have Blues Hog on hand. If home, I just use whatever bottled sauce I can find in the fridge.

Welcome SierraBBQGuy happy to have you here! Good job on your signature.

Comment

Congrats on getting out of the rat race! Welcome to The Pit! We are happy to have you here. Thank you for the support. We look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and any Tri tip you slice up!!

Comment

My wife and I moved to Sacramento from San Francisco 35 years ago because we couldn't see ever being able to buy a house there. Good your up the hill and out of the fog. Find a good spot for sunsets, you'll have lots of opportunities.
            Best of luck in your new digs and welcome to the pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here