Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Simi Valley, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Simi Valley, CA

I've been using this site for reference for a few months now and told my wife that all I want for Christmas is the Pitmaster Club! I have a normal charcoal BBQ with a smoke stack that I use, it is far from air tight, but I'm able to get my long cooks in. I don't like using wood too much, I use mostly Kingsford. I met a pitmaster in Houston who recommended that I try White Oak, so I'll cross that bridge I guess. I've been grilling all my life, but haven't really been BBQing since I bought this $100 que in 2011. That is when I instinctively started using the two zone method before I even knew it was a thing. I've always made Tri-Tip and baby backs. In recent months, I've been making butts and brisket. I can't wait to learn a lot more from all of you and get to know you as well. Merry Christmas!

Welcome aboard, L&S... you will enjoy yourself and we look forward to your hearing about your cooks

Comment

Welcome. The Club is a great Xmas gift and will bring you that much more knowledge. No one will tell you you have to cook with wood, but there are some that will suggest you buy a full-on stickburner if you want to go that way. Once I got my Weber kettle, I stopped using my vertical propane smoker and I put out pretty darn good food. Personally, I want a stick burner purely for the fun and experience

Comment

Welcome aboard LowandSlow! I am jealous of everyone who lives in tri-tip land. There is no such thing in MI where I live. But alas, I make due by living vicariously through you all. I like to use oak for beef, but haven't sued white oak yet.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Welcome. Another jealous of tri-tip, ours is the same price as tenderloin for some reason.

Comment

Hello LS, nice to meet ya.

Comment

Welcome L&S! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Welcome aboard LS

Comment

Hi L&S,
                  I'm another newbie, not too far from you. Any great butchers or fishmongers near you? I'm always on the lookout.
                  Welcome.

Comment

Hey Jordy (with a "y"), nice to meet you. The best place that I know about is Green Acres in Simi Valley. Their butcher shop has the best cuts, have a great seafood selection and the serve food as well. Try the tri-tip and get the au jus! Also, there is Jim's Fallbrook Market in Woodland Hills. I've only done a walk thru and I didn't see that they had any brisket, but it was the day before Thanksgiving and they might have been in the back taking a backseat to all of the Turkeys and fixings!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here