Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy! Total noob from Iowa here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy! Total noob from Iowa here!

I just put my first Pork Butt on my brand new OK Joe smoker (seasoned yesterday). I'm really excited, and will be fighting the urge all day long to "open the hood". While it was seasoning yesterday, I kept messing around with the damper and the exhaust (whatever it's called) to see how drastically I could change the temperature.

The whole process was harrowing in obtaining the smoker, so my pork butt stayed in the refrigerator a day longer than expected. I really hope that doesn't negatively affect the taste! :/

I'm really looking forward to combing through the site and learning as much as I can. I watched a ton of YouTube videos over the past couple of weeks, and I'm eager to learn more.

This is definitely the place to learn more! Your butt should be fine btw. So how well could you control your smoker? What temp are you smoking it at? You made a good meat choice for a new grill, as long as the meat hits ~200 it should be good, pork butts are hard to really mess up.

Comment

Welcome aboard bwatt75

Comment

Right on - John is right, butts take alot of punishment and can still turn out very good! Welcome from from the SC Lowcountry!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          This is definitely the place to learn more! Your butt should be fine btw. So how well could you control your smoker? What temp are you smoking it at? You made a good meat choice for a new grill, as long as the meat hits ~200 it should be good, pork butts are hard to really mess up.

Thank you! Not too bad, I think. I was able to move the temp in the direction I wanted it to go with little effort. I did just get home from showing a house and found the temp at 200F, which worried me a little. So I threw on some hickory chunks and opened the damper a smidge, and it jumped up to 250F.

It was 12 lbs bone in to begin with so I was planning on 12 hours. Do I need to do anything else to it? I've read so many different versions, I'm really not sure if I should do anything besides wait. Opinions welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
            Welcome aboard bwatt75

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by HC in SC View Post
              Right on - John is right, butts take alot of punishment and can still turn out very good! Welcome from from the SC Lowcountry!

Thank you!

Comment

A 12lbs butt is going to take you longer than 12 hours at 250F. When the internal temp gets to 150 - 160 double wrap in foil for the rest of the cook to reduce your time a bit. If you pump up the temp to 275 or 300 you might get close to the 12 hour mark. Normally cooking at 225 it will take 2 hours per pound. The CRITICAL part is to put the butt in a cooler with towels once it hits 203 - 205 internal temp. Keep it in the cooler for at least one hour, but it will be even better if you keep it in there for two hours.

Comment

• tomtel84
                  tomtel84 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BTW......welcome to the website! Have fun and eat a lot of BBQ!

• bwatt75
                  bwatt75 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Should I add more charcoal to increase temp, or open the dampers?

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like to open dampers and give plenty Oxygen. Then add more lit coals if it don't get quite high enough.

Iowa, Land of the Giants (whitetails). Welcome!

Comment

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also where Captain James T. Kirk was raised... just sayin'

Just checking in........how did it go?

Comment

• bwatt75
                  bwatt75 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had to finish it off in the oven at 425. I couldn't keep the temp regulated well enough. I need to go get some high heat caulking and seal up some of the places heat is escaping. Just needed about an hour in the oven, but really good!!

• tomtel84
                  tomtel84 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  WooHoo.....congrats! We learn every time we cook so welcome to the obsession. Keep it up and keep the posts coming.

Welcome to The Pit bwatt75! Way to jump right in and get yer feet wet!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos! You did great getting your signature filled out, perhaps you've already read the Welcome channel? If you use digital thermometers, add them to the list as well as any other accessories for your new OK Joe.

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Greeting!

Comment

Hey Bwatt welcome to the Pit

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here