Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, DEWESQ55 here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, DEWESQ55 here!

Hi, all. My name is David or DEW. I'm about to be 60. I've been cooking all my life. Did lots of grilling since high school. I have been smoking for about 20 years - at first helping my brother who had the only equipment in the family - and since the early 2000's with my own setup.

I am a lawyer, currently living in the Poconos of Northeast Pennsylvania and working in NYC. Until now, my smoking has been confined to my summer/vacation home on Chincoteague Island, VA. There I have a stainless steel vertical gas/water smoker. It's not very tight and it has small-ish food grates, but it works. A little temperamental at getting and holding the correct temperature, but when on vacation I have nothing but time to tweak it all day.

I have just become the owner of a brand new Masterbuilt 40.2" electric smoker (the one without the glass front). I have yet to cook in it, but today I did the manufacturer's recommended pre-seasoning burn and all seems well. It makes tons of smoke with it's 1200 watt coil. I can hardly wait to get some meat in there an take it for a real test drive. One thing about it is it is pretty well insulated. While running at 275 degrees, the box was not even warm on any side. The only indication that there was heat involved was a slight warmth around the door seal. It is 30 degrees out today and the digital thermometer was consistently running between 272 and 275. It took less than 30 minutes to come to heat inside. Just so you know, I read all of the information about electrics on this site (including all of Dr. Blonder's post about smoke and smoke rings) but bought it anyway since it fits my current situation the best.

My favorite things to smoke are pork shoulders (I don't have much luck finding Boston butts near me) and pork spareribs. I make my own rubs and sauces which are well thought of by friends and family. I am hoping to learn to smoke a whole-packer brisket. I have dl-ed Meathead's recipe/instructions and hope to try it in the Spring. The new electric seems to have plenty of width to hold one with minimal or no trimming of the length.

I look forward to learning lots more on this site and will post pics (successes, for sure, but also failures/disappointments if they occur).

So long for now.

DEW
    Last edited by Dewesq55; December 21, 2014, 06:11 PM.

Hello David, Welcome to the club! Glad you joined us.

Comment

Thanks. Me too!

Comment

Welcome aboard Dew

Comment

Thanks, man.

Comment

Welcome, looking forward to see you knocking that brisket out.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              From your lips, etc and so forth.

Welcome to THE PIT!!!! If you want help on packers you've come to the right place my friend!!! Here you will find the best and most complete Brisket information of anywhere else on the planet!!!!!
            SMOKE ON!!!!!

Comment

Hello Dew , welcome to the Pit

Comment

Welcome from a recovering lawyer in Southeast PA (Brandywine Valley).

Comment

Welcome DEW! Glad to have you aboard. A buddy of mine has the same smoker, from your description anyway. Compared to others, he said it has minimal smoke flavor due to it being very well insulated. This causes the burner coil to not cycle too often (good on your electric bill) which causes the wood to not burn much (bad on the smoke flavor). I'm sure with some clever tweaking you'll make it happen how you need it to. If not, there are many good folks around here to give you some help if needed.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Welcome, fellow "Pitster." You are in for an enjoyable and educational ride. Enjoy, and share when you can. Seasons greetings from Houston, Alaska..

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                      Compared to others, he said it has minimal smoke flavor due to it being very well insulated. This causes the burner coil to not cycle too often (good on your electric bill) which causes the wood to not burn much (bad on the smoke flavor).
                      Thanks, Huskee. That would be a problem if it occurs. The initial seasoning burn produced tons of smoke, but that could be because it was only 30 degrees out. I may not find out for sure until the weather warms up in the spring or summer. I will certainly report here one way or the other.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here