Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Cedar Park, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Cedar Park, TX

Hi! I'm brand new to the group and to BBQ'ing. Recently got a Big Green Egg as a gift and am enjoying the learning curve. I found Meathead's articles on making homemade bacon online and decided to give it a try. Am hoping someone here can help with a question (I'm nervous about this particular cook) The Maple bacon recipe says to use 1/2 tsp of Prague Powder #1 for ~3 pounds of pork belly, but the online calculator comes up with 1 tsp (my pork belly is 3.4 lbs) for 150 ppm nitrite. I guess the recipe is targeting 100 ppm nitrite. I'm not sure which to follow? Can anyone suggest which nitrite target is better? Thanks!!

Welcome aboard Dawn! I know nothing of the BGE but, there are gazillions of experts here waiting to give you hand! It will be coming shortly. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome dawn117

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Colorado!
          I use Meathead's bacon recipe even though the calculator will have a different amount. My bellies usually come out around 3.5 to even 4 lbs and I stay with the 1/2 teaspoon with great results! You will really enjoy the home smoked bacon but beware; you won't want to go back to store bought. Enjoy!

Comment

The attached calculator will give you the weights (as apposed to the volume) of curing needed. Of course you should have an accurate kitchen scale to determine those weights.

Curing Calculator

And by the way, welcome to the site, from Houston !!!!

Comment

Welcome to the pit! The BGE is a wonderful grill/smoker.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Originally posted by kamadoRob View Post
                  Welcome to the pit from Colorado!
                  I use Meathead's bacon recipe even though the calculator will have a different amount. My bellies usually come out around 3.5 to even 4 lbs and I stay with the 1/2 teaspoon with great results! You will really enjoy the home smoked bacon but beware; you won't want to go back to store bought. Enjoy!
                  Thanks so much!!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                    Welcome to the pit! The BGE is a wonderful grill/smoker.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!
                    Will do! Thanks!

Comment

Welcome from Florida!

Comment

Welcome! Glad to have you here and thanks for your support.

The difference between the calculator and the recipe is the calculator is designed to be more flexible and more precise, if you had different sizes, shapes, and weights, and/or are targeting a specific ppm.

The recipe will work just fine for your belly! And I agree, you'll likely not want to go back to store-bought again. It tastes great after it comes off the smoker but wait til you fry it up!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!! We are happy to have you.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Hope the bacon is great!

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina! Mmmmm... bacon!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here