Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Florida Panhandle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the Florida Panhandle!

Well, I’ve been grilling for years on charcoal, gas and an even an open pit that I built. But the allure of smoking was always there and for some unknown reason, I was always hesitant to try. So, a couple of years ago, after numerous times of saying ‘one day, I’m going to …..”, my wonderful wife got me a WSM 18.5 for my birthday! She did the same thing with my wanting to make wine, now we always have at least three different varieties on hand.

Since I was diving into new territory, the first thing I did was try and learn as much as I could. Amazingribs.com was probably one of the first sites that I found and I was completely hooked. I’ve tried (very successfully) many of the recipes for cooking, rubs and sauces. Also got some questions answered when I tried my first Brisket, which came out quite nice – burnt ends were fantastic!

I always recommend this site to friends, even if they don’t have a smoker. There's entirely too much good information about a variety of things not to share! Long story short, as soon as I noticed the Pitmaster Club, I felt it was the least I could do to give back and keep the knowledge coming.

I think I’ve got a good variety of base of smokes under my belt now: Chicken (multiple ways), Ribs (full and baby back), Butt, Brisket and Turkey. But there’s always more to learn, room for new ideas and plenty more meats to try!!

David

David, Welcome, you are home. You will find some great like minded folks on this site and there are lots of things to share. Check out the Wine section and lets compare notes.

Barry

Comment

Hi Barry! Nice. I've probably made around 15 batches of wine over the last five years or so. I make it from kits as well, get them from our local Homebrew store. Cabs, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Montepulciano, Merlot, Syrah, Chard. Actually just started making whites last year. Came out really well.

Comment

My favorite white is the Liebfraumilch. We also like the fruity tuity Island Mist wines as they are ready to drink when you bottle them. My regular wine I am really slow with and they all turn out great as they get to age a minimum of 12 mo. before consuming . Merlot, Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris. I only make my wines in the late fall to early spring as it is easy to keep the temps where I want them.

Comment

Hey Pizza! Nice to meet you.

Comment

Haven't tried that one (Liebfraumilch). I've seen the Island Mist kits in the store, but we tend to drink more of the dryer ones. Same here on keeping them aged, I try to keep my inventory well stocked so by the time we ready to drink them, they've aged at least 9-10 mos. Usually let them age in the carboy and just bottle when we run out. In fact, I need to get a couple of batches going soon. lol

I always joke with everyone that I make my wine in the bathtub! :-) Just where I keep the bucket for fermenting.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit David! Thanks for getting your sig set up! It seems like you're going to fit in well here!

Ever had Decoy wine? That's my goto "daily drinker". I like their Napa Valley Red and Chardonnay the best.

Dave

Comment

Hey Dave! Haven't had that one, I'll keep an eye out for it though. Thanks!

Dave

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here