Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke I will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke I will

Well the three or so months it’s taken feels an eternity. It has been quite an experience with a lot of highs and lows and much learnt. The smoker box was never part of the project and only actioned way into the rigs build. Having absolutely no oven smoking experience or in the manufacture of said, should have alerted me to the challenges it might pose. In my eagerness I went ahead without much research, checked out a site or two on the net and decided it shouldn’t be too big a deal (I have been in manufacturing most of my working life). I will spare you the trauma of a detailed account and share few things.
    The vertical smoker is 60’x24’x20’ gas fuelled. Have 2 infrared burners and 1 two ring burner. The cooking chamber is 50’x24’x20’ with 10 adjustable cooking grates and space between the water tray and the very bottom grate to do something in the future (I have a few ideas). The water tray has three compartments, the centre compartment for the wood lies directly above the ring burner and the outer two for water above the infrared burners. The outlet vent is fitted with a 2 ½’ valve and 24’ flue. The fuel chamber NOW has four 1’ and four 2’ intake valves, this proved to be the most baffling part of the build. I don’t believe it’s perfect but is working well. The oven had a single solid opening door and I have since fitted a hatch door that also has a 2’ intake valve. The hatch door is for access to the fuel chamber and water tray. Hindsight, hindsight, hindsight….
    Last week’s dry test revealed the need for more intake valves from the two 1’ valves fitted at the start of the build and as mentioned above have fitted additional. Have made notes along the way and will continue to do so until I can say "I got it". The CC held my target temp of 225F with ever so slight change up and down. Success I believe.
    Today my baby finally found her way into the rig and ready for some confirmation testing in the days to come. The box weighs around 200 pounds, more than I had anticipated and has messed with the trailers load distribution. The unit can be removed very easily if I need to make any minor mods. She is currently dressed in timber on the outside to keep in the insulation and will be reclothed in bright SS when I am confident all that needs doing is done.

A few pics of the smoker and my home-built faux Cambro

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171026_143822.jpg Views:	2 Size:	630.4 KB ID:	416096Click image for larger version  Name:	20171127_141248.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	416095Click image for larger version  Name:	20171127_141421.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	416097Click image for larger version  Name:	20171127_141944.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	416098
    Last edited by holehogg; November 27, 2017, 12:09 PM. Reason: conversion Kg to Pounds mistake

Sweet !!!!

Comment

Wonderful! Glad you got reasonable temperature control!

Comment

Looks like a good job to me.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

For having no experience, you can build one for me any time.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I feel like you too would get along well.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here