Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantastic first grilled turkey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic first grilled turkey...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171123_125055.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	414668Click image for larger version

Name:	20171123_125210.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	414669

I found out today how pleasant it it to indirect roast a 20 LB turkey! I am new to the pit but not to grilling, cooking, baking ... I injected the turkey with Costco's finest XO cognac (french import) on Sunday and he got spiced up a bit and filled with some herbs and lemon grass.

Using a Primo XL kamado and their ceramic heat deflector rack over Jealous Devil - Quebracho Blanco (Paraguay) and a topping of Rockwood Lump (Missouri). The juice pan was then laid with about 50 / 50 organic chicken stock and water, a cup of fresh apple cider, celery, onions, mushrooms, carrots ....

Using a Thermoworks Smoke and an MK4 instant read I was running a dome temp of 340 - 350 and directly over the pan was at 300. I wrapped the legs and wings after 1.5 hrs and basted a few times for the remainder. I did not have the necessary head space between the pan and bird and when the breast was at 155 or so I rolled it on its chest to crisp up the back at 2.5 hours.

Out of the "brick oven" @ 3 hours - Simply wonderful! Thanks Meathead Goldwyn for the fantastic, informative piece! I knew what to do and what to watch out for!!

Our grilled and smoked turkey recipe and tutorial make your ordinary holiday meal extraordinary! Here's everything you need to know about making the ultimate holiday bird. We also bust some myths, discuss side dishes, and so much more!

Great job, many congrats on yer success!
    Happy Thanksgivin'!

Comment

Thanks Brother Bones!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, ya' earned alla dat!
        Take a well-deserved bow, brother!

WOW! Nice work. That bottom pic needs entered into our annual Turkey Photo Shoot Contest, in the Disqus comment section at the bottom of this page: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-recipe-easily

Comment

• JPACCFL
        JPACCFL commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Mr Huskee! I did submit the same write-up and pics shown in this post last night, Please check to see if it made it.

• JPACCFL
        JPACCFL commented
        Editing a comment
        The post made it as #8 but my lengthy Bla Bla Bla prevented the eye-catching photo. It now has the required visual appeal.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        JPACCFL I seen it!

Great detailed account. Glad you had success, it sounds great.

Comment

Dang fine looking bird. Nice job.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

That’s a fine-looking Turkey! Great work.

Comment

JPACCFL, 🦃 👍👍👍👍👍 🦃 Great Looking Turkey❗️ I don't Care if It's Your First or Fiftieth‼️ I'd Eat It! 🤗😇🤗
              Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Really nice pics and description!

Comment

Beautiful photo of that great cook. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here