Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raising the Smoke for South Africans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising the Smoke for South Africans

My surname is Hogg hence my username holehogg. Not as loved as the HOG with only a single G.
    Our TV is generally tuned to the cooking channels except when certain live sporting events are on. The bulk of the programs are from the USA and I especially enjoy anything to do with smoking. I started manufacturing a food trailer a few months ago to follow my passion for cooking. A seed was watered when a neighbour asked if I was going to serve RIB’s. I mulled over the idea for a day or so and decided that I must add a smoker as one of my cooking implements. I searched the web for some ideas and the most AMAZING thing happened to me, AMAZING RIBS. I received the smoke signals and there was no turning back. The vertical custom built gas smoker I have manufactured is H=1500mmxW=600mmxD=550mm (+-5’x2’x2’). I have not found any food truck in South Africa (SA) that has a smoker. I believe it will be the first of many to follow. We South Africans do love a BRAAI (pronounced pry with a b-bry,) with wood or charcoal mainly over an open fire (grilling) nothing low and slow. We even have a public holiday that we refer to as national braai day actually our heritage day holiday (braai4heritage).
    The smoker has had only a single test drive and on my next round I will be calling for advice and guidance. The first smoke was acceptable and I found a few adjustments were needed on the smoker box. I’m sure there will be more as we progress.
    Looking forward to our journey ……

Well there pilgrim, I don’t know if it was mentioned to ya or if ya just happened to maybe see it on another thread, but around these here parts we have a requirement & that is pics. We need to see your rig & your cook & everything else yer doin in regards to smokin. That’ll satisfy us just fine. There’s a sayin , no pics didn’t happen. Lookin forward to it. Keep your charcoal dry.

Comment

Looking forward to the pictures!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Lookin' frqard to photos. I'm sure you have a lot of different meats to cook, and we want to see them.

Comment

Thanks for the introduction, it’s nice to meet you! Sounds like a wonderful adventure you’ve started on! Have fun and eat good food.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome holehogg

Comment

Welcome from Norway holehogg

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
                  Lookin' forward to followin' yer adventures!

Comment

Welcome from Baltimore, MD! We're glad you joined us.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the results of your journey. Here in Texas every backyard hack claims to be a bbq guru. It’s refreshing to see that you might be bringing something new to your area. I’m almost envious of your challenges ahead!! Keep cookin’, keep reading and good luck !!

Comment

Welcome from the Republic of Texas. Congratulations on your ambition, courage, and pioneering spirit.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170816_113509.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	407907 Before the smoker was even part of the plan

Name:	20171023_150300.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	407908 The smoker became part of the plan and a work in progress

Name:	20171026_143822.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	407909

Name:	20171027_152032.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	407910 Preparing for a test smoke. My first attempt at smoking anything. The box when completed will be insulated and clad. The door was insulated and clad with timber board to get an idea of what the outside temperature might be. I don't want to cook this Hogg low and slow inside the trailer. A few lessons were learnt during the test like needing additional air intakes. Had 2 1 inch vents on the LHS and have since added 2 more on the RHS. Note the chimney on the roof with a 2 1/2 inch ball valve. Since this photo have added a hatch at the bottom of the door for access to the burners and water and wood tray without having to open the whole door. Below the smoker box in its intended place.

Name:	20171106_154505.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	407911

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina!

Impressive rig, and looks like you've done your homework for a good smoker design. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Quick question, what's SA's preferred adult beverage choices for pairing with live fire cooking?

Comment

• holehogg
                              holehogg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Beer, Beer, more Beer and Brandy and Coke

Welcome, holehogg! We like to experience new adventures vicariously, so keep the photos coming. Scour this site for all the information you can, and you will set the bar for BBQ almost impossibly high for your fellow South Africans.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here