Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meater - new wireless thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meater - new wireless thermometer

Hi everybody - new to the club. I own a 4 burner Saber and a Bradley Smoker. Looking forward to learning how to use them

I have purchased the above noted thermometer (awaiting delivery) and wondering if anybody has used it and have any tips.

Thanks Saberguy

Welcome to fun and learning! Nope, my neater hasn’t materialized. I do find great fun in using a Fireboard, though. I used a Maverick before that. Thermometers really help you understand what’s happening inside the cooker.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. If you type "meater" in the search box at the top of the page, you will get lots of hits.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit SABERGUY! Hello again, and happy to have you. I ordered the Meater back when it was on Kickstarter, and haven't received mine yet. That was 2 or 3 years ago, I can't remember. I'm anxious to give it a whirl. But as pointed out several members who ordered single probes instead of the block setup have received theirs and reported heir initial findings.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
        1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe, if you’re a paying member. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) me with your email change request, or via email at [email protected].
        2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members, (whether Free Trial or subscribing), or those with a USA delivery address. We’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome aboard, eat good & have fun, especially with your thermometer.

Comment

Welcome SABERGUY

Comment

Welcome from Neptune Beach, FL! Never used a Meater myself, only Maverick and Thermowerks Smoke.

Comment

I've gotten my Meater, still waiting on the block but it isn't developed yet. I've used it a couple of times and here's my first impressions after a couple of cooks:
                1) Construction seems quite solid, doesn't appear to be made with shoddy materials
                2) The downloaded app is actually quite nice, but the bluetooth range so far has been lacking. I know it isn't their fault per se, but they advertise 20-30 feet and it's more like 5 feet. My hope is when I get the block this will be extended as it will act as a repeater.
                3) You really have to stick the Meater in there. It definitely isn't worthwhile for smaller chunks of meat
                4) I really like the tracking of the cook. Also I have an older weber that doesn't have a thermometer in the lid, so the fact it measures the ambient temperature is also quite handy. I measured the internal gauge with my thermapen and they were pretty much the same

They really need to get the distance solved. And that's my main complaint. I wanted this thing for competition cooks so that I can drink beer and monitor the cook from my phone. If I'm constantly having connectivity issues then it's going to be a hassle. Other than that, the thing has been pretty good.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  sfrancis353, Glad to hear the single probes are working well. I too, am waiting on the block. Keep us posted on how well the single probe performs over time.

• BigCountryQ
                  BigCountryQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Bluetooth range would actually be somewhat their fault. Typically people buy a chipset and are required to build their own antenna network around it. They are also responsible for interfacing with the chipset properly. I would guess that the range and radiated measurements haven't been tested thoroughly enough.

Welcome, from the Lowcountry of South Carolina!

Comment

Just received my Meater -will try it out next week

I need help - just deboned a turkey (nows weighs 12.75 pounds) - want to smoke it today (new to smoking - own a Bradley) - quick wet brine or a dry rub?

Comment

• kmhfive
                    kmhfive commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Like EdF says, a dry brine under the skin will be quicker for what you want.

Start dry brining now, wipe dry, then put a (salt-free) rub on it before you start cooking it.

Comment

• SABERGUY
                    SABERGUY commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did a salt free dry brine - smoking now - suspect 5-6 hours - thanks for the input

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What is a salt-free brine?

Welcome to The Pit! It is great to have you. Thank you for the support.

Comment

Welcome from Florida!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and the salt free bird. I love birds. Any pics of that sucker? How did you do? I'm doing a whole breast tomorrow.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Just ordered the Meater Block, for delivery Q1 2018...You seem quite happy with yours (bar the distance of BT), am I right?
                        (and how did the smoked turkey come out?)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here