Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marauderer
    replied
    Welcome Kunkle, Do you like the flavors you are getting now? If so why do you want to change. Aaron makes excellent points on what the judges are looking for. If you won something with what you have it isn't necessarily inferior. I like folks that think outside the box because that is how things improve. I look forward to your posts in the future.

Barry

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit! Huskee has done a good job of stealing all my intro material so let me just add that I'd be happy to change your username if you like. You really don't want to advertise your email address like that. It's just bad for your personal security. PM me with your name or handle and I'll take care of it. Again, welcome, and we look forward to that sig!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    mkunkle, check out the Welcome post on the main page, click the tab on the top-left of this page that says "The Pit". Read the first Welcome post. There's also a Tips post there too, it will help you accomplish this and set up your profile and your signature ("sig").

If you need any further help just holler. And welcome to The Pit!

And with regards to B) do you brine or dry brine? This will surely help keep it from drying out. Perhaps wrap the bone and the first inch or so of meat with foil halfway through. Most trained judges want to be impressed with one bite, and the rub/sauce should not overpower the meat. Rubs and sauce are seasonings. They should compliment but not overpower the meat and the same goes for the smoke. We have no clue the taste, or what the judges will want, so it's hard for us to specify exactly what you should do.
    Last edited by Huskee; July 22, 2014, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mkunkle26@yahoo.com
    started a topic New member help

New member help

Two main issues. A. How do I edit my profile and add a pic and equipment? B. I'm a backyard smoker/griller. My family convinced me to compete last week in the county competition. I took first in the combo category (pork/chicken). Now I have to go to the state tournament. I have to take my same recipe and meats. I don't want to look any worse than I already will with my inferior equipment. My concern isn't the chicken. The pork is an issue. I'm smoking center cut loin chop with the rib bone exposes and cleaned for a handle. My problem is keeping it from drying out!!!! And should I rub and do sauce or one or the other? My sauce is fruity with a bite in the back end. My rub is all bite....

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here