Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the SoCal Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the SoCal Coast

Hi All,
    Kids didn't want to go to college so I decided to use some of it to redo the backyard. New patio, shower enclosure, landscaping AND a beautiful built in Blaze 32" four burner w/infrared rotisserie burner of which I know very little about. Bbq'd with charcoal mostly on Webers. Just the basics----chicken, steak and a turkey once or twice during the holidays. Would like to learn to bbq/grill different items with this new gas grill. Bought Meatheads book and the Maverick ET-732 Therm. set. Followed all the directions in the book and fired up the grill after washing all the innards. My first question is How in the heck do you get the temp to stay halfway stable? I set up the Maverick temp set and used the method described in the book to figure out the burner settings. Once the temps were reached (225 & 325) they would fluctuate 10 to 20 degrees no matter how many times I readjusted the burners. Is this normal for a gas grill? Then the BBQ temp probe quit on me. Kind of a rocky start huh? Hopefully with a bit more education and some help from you seasoned pit masters things will smooth out

Welcome to The Pit Mark. Most here would be satisfied with a 25* swing in either direction so I wouldn't worry about it. Did you use two burners so that you could have a hot and indirect side? To do long cooks at low temps, you will need to learn how to control the temps for a two zone setup. Once you are satisfied you can do that, try smokin' either a pork butt or a chuck roast. Both are forgiving and will turn out great smoked anywhere between 225* and 275*. Some here even cook at higher temps.

Comment

Welcome MarkRees

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! Spent 5 or 6 years in the Sacramento area ... good times ... great memories!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from the Florida panhandle!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome to the pit MarkRees! Yes, I wouldn't worry about 10-20 degree temp swings. Keep going, you'll be fine. Now to the "rules": starting a post about kids not going to college, instead remodeling the backyard and not posting pictures, what up with dat? Photos please, don't leave us hanging!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Sounds like a great new space to cook. Have fun.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
                      Glad to have ya' here with us!
                      Enjoy yer newly remodeled back yard...
                      Please, show us pics...
                      Tell yer kids I said to enjoy a long an' happy life of bein' Blue Collar wage slaves, as well
                      Goodness knows, I have/am!

Comment

Welcome From Clay, Ny.

Comment

Yo So Cal, Welcome to the Pit from Neptune Beach, FL!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Hey SoCal, Huntington Beach welcomes you. What sand do you call home? Still got your kettle? I got nothing for you on the gasser.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here