Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome to the pit from Georgia

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! We are happy to have you.

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Neptune Beach, FL!

Comment

Welcome from the Pensacola Florida area!

Comment

As promised, but late as usual; here's the skinny on chili roastin'
              Basically just a drum turning over a good flame, I mean blow-torch style, this one holds about 1/4 bushel;
              (hard to tell, but the flames go about 8-10 inches into the drum)
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20171007_192321825_iOS.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	405845
              after a good 4 minutes or so you have nice and black, blistered & cooked chili's;
              (its actually just the skin that is charred)

Name:	20171007_192726531_iOS.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	405846
              I take 'em right away a keep them in a tight Tupperware cake dish and let em sweat for about 40 minutes,
              then you just scrape the skins off and cut the tops, you can clean the seeds out if you don't want them too hot.

Name:	20171008_011242623_iOS.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	405843 then i put them on everything from sandwiches to meatloaf. Oh, you can also make Green Chili - a Colorado specialty - but that's a whole other story
              Attached Files

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful setup! Did you create this on your own? Are there plans available?

• themastersmechanic
                themastersmechanic commented
                Editing a comment
                Well this one was my first attempt at the fabrication, I would do it differently, but expanded metal and the round BBQ grates are pretty much it. I used a bit of welding on mine and an old hand crank drill to run it. The burner is completely home-made from 1/2" iron and a bit of creativity for the nozzles.I am willing to bet someone sells something on amazon that is turn-key

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Super Cool setup, Amigo!
                Hamsters, worldwide, are tremblin' in fear!
                An', somewhere, in Th' Great Cosmos, Rube Goldberg is smilin' widely!
                Loves me some green Chiles, might have to do some fabbin'!
                Thanks fer th' Inspiration!

@themastermechanic, Welcome to "The Pit"❗️ You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.❗️ Attendance and Participation are Mandatory❗️
              Enjoy "The Pit"‼️
              Can't Wait to Sell Your Pepper Grill Over Fire!
              Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome from Pittsburgh! That chili roaster is awesome! I too like to dabble with some 🥃.

Comment

welcome from Nebraska

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina! Whisky and cooking with fire? Sign me up!

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've read that proofing down Weller Antique with some limestone water (or just using Weller Reserve straight) and aging a month in a 1-liter barrel is as close to Pappy as realistically possible. I think I'm going to acquire 2 bottles of Weller and try it with one, and keep one as a control.

• BourBonQ
                      BourBonQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Huskee , Aged reserve gets my vote. Do tell what you find out!

For us mere mortals, here's a couple more, outside of Wellers/Buffalo, that might just take the edge off that PVW longing... Makers 46 and Four Roses Single Barrel.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am a fan of Maker's 46, although it's been a long while. And I have 4RSB in the mail, should be here Saturday. Although unwheated, it is higher rye than their standard namesake and I'm greatly looking forward to trying it!

If I'm not too late.

Huntington Beach welcomes you and all of that chili!

Comment

• themastersmechanic
                      themastersmechanic commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Brother! I'm from San Diego.....long long ago LOL, and I am not the one to tell anyone they are late.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here