Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, seeking advice on cold weather//wind cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jerrybell has it right. Get some shelter from the wind. If you want to use less fuel, buy an insulated cover. I don't have a kamado, but it sounds like those are somewhat immune to these problems. Units with controllers are going to be able to adjust, but without a cover you will use more fuel.

Comment

Have you been cooking with charcoal at that elevation? We went up in the White Mountains (eastern Arizona) camping one year. I brought along steaks, charcoal and a small BBQ pit (Weber Smoky Joe). It was extremely difficult to get a fire started. Two hours in, I still had raw steaks and a fire I could put (and keep) my hand on without a glove. That was 9500 feet.

If people around you cook successfully with charcoal you should be OK, but if you don't know, I'd get a bag of charcoal and do some testing before spending a bunch on new equipment.

Oh, and welcome to the Pit.

Best regards,
      Jim

Comment

• tiduba
        tiduba commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Jim. I have not seen any problems with charcoal at this altitude.

Here's another vote for 1) shelter and 2) kamado. I've used my BGE in everything from 0* to 100*, and it rocks them all.

And, WELCOME!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the responses. It appears that the consensus for winter/wind is a kamado with shelter. I intend to shop and compare Primo vs. Weber Summit Charcoal. If anyone has experience with these cookers, or other opinions, I'd be happy to hear about it.
        Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tiduba View Post
          Thanks to everyone for the responses. It appears that the consensus for winter/wind is a kamado with shelter. I intend to shop and compare Primo vs. Weber Summit Charcoal. If anyone has experience with these cookers, or other opinions, I'd be happy to hear about it.
          Tim
          I don't have any experience specifically with these two cookers, but I have had a kamado-style cooker in the past, and I found it very awkward to move at all. I live near sea level, and it doesn't get really cold (occasionally dips below freezing), but it does get cold enough to affect something like a Weber kettle. Depending on the direction from which the wind is blowing, it would make sense for me to be able to move the cooker around slightly to give more protection - to put it round the corner of the house, for example. For that reason, I am seriously considering a Weber Summit Charcoal rather than the heavier Primo / BGE / Kamado Joe ceramic cookers. Being able to move it without fear would be a big plus for me.

Comment

Some experience i have with the WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) in (not so) cold weather conditions.

Comment

Mid Atlantic here (MD) We get proper weather for all the seasons. I have a Large Big Green Egg and it doesn't care if it's raining, snowing, sun beating down or if the wind is trying to knock the house down. Best of all, it seals up tight so bugs cant make the inside a home. And it's very easy on fuel. It's laser focused on the task at hand. If you go the ceramic route, find that perfect size and get the next bigger one.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Great advise. Always order 20 % more than you need.

Thanks to everyone. I've ordered a Primo XL, and will report later on how it works out.

Comment

• Hi, my name is Joe
                Hi, my name is Joe commented
                Editing a comment
                If I could do it over again, that's the one I would pick. Good call!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here