Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Bie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Bie

Hi all
    Short introduction to myself. I am living in Denmark (Europe) just north of the capital of Copenhagen. I am ½ Danish and ½ German and grew up just a few kilometers from the Danish/German border on the German side. I was part of the Danish minority in Germany when i grew up.
    As for cooking I have an general overarching interest in cooking. I like to make things from the scratch. I have a scientific approach to cooking and have read through "Modernist Cuisine" to get an better understanding on why things do/taste as they do. I am not into making very elaborate modernist cuisine, just the science behind it that I feel I can use in many other apects of cooking.
    Since I like food and to cook and like the scientific approach I stumbled over this webpage when researching a little for BBQ (it was spare ribs). And the approach to food and gadgets here is just right down my alley. I have used some recipes from here and all have worked out great.
    Here are some of the things I make myself currently:
    General cooking with no short cuts (making my own stock etc.)
    Sausages
    Bacon
    Pickled Heering
    Cold smoked salmon
    Pickling in general
    Bread baking
    Sous Vide preparations
    Chocolate/Hazelnut spread
    Learning the BBQ low and slow technics
    and there is most likely more to come

As for my equipment I have bought a used 57 inch Weber and a Smokenator (after reading about it here). I have a small extendable barrel for smoking too. I have lots of other tools, but those are not really for BBQ.

Looking forward to see this site develop even more.

Welcome, we have similar interests though I usually don't have the time. My daughter and I made a pizza from scratch last week including the dough, pepperoni and even the Mozzarella (easier than I thought).

And since you are Danish I get to ask a question for an expert. I ate Danish ribs at a restaurant, are these something you guys are famous for or did someone just name them that and nobody there knows what we're talking about?

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew it! I have not tried sour dough, sounds very good, though I did make a pretzel crust this time. I have never used metal, I have a pizza stone, do you prefer the steel?

• Bie
      Bie commented
      Editing a comment
      I have only used a pizza stone a few times. And what I have read about using metal is that it can better give heat back again. And then I use my steel plate also for baking in general so having a full plate is just more practical than a round pizza stone (you can of course also get square stones). The big slab of steel just retains the heat better as it is a bigger mass. So doing multiple pizzas and opening the oven a few times does not affect the heat of the steel that much.
      Regarding pretzel crust. What is that? Being half German I know very well what pretzel is...but in connection with pizza I do not know what that is.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Roll out pretzel dough, boil it quickly, then make a pizza out of it.

Welcome bie! Hello from the Charleston, SC area!

Comment

Hello Bie, and welcome to the "Pit". There are a lot of like minded folks here and I look forward to your Posts and Pics.

Comment

Greeting Bie!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here