Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from SoCal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from SoCal

I bought a smoker (Traeger Jr.) off a friend who was looking to fund his smoker upgrade, and figured I'd better start trying to get my money's worth of out the thing. I started with Traeger's recipes on their website, but they were horrible. Not bad food, but complete lack of actual detailed instructions (ie, no measurements, no wood recommendations, etc) which was super frustrating since I'm not the kind that flies by the seat of their pants and likes to make stuff up with expensive meat. Also I bought a bunch of their rubs only to discover that they contained so much salt, that a lot of what I initially tried to make was so salty that it was practically inedible.

So I started googling and wound up here. I made some stuff off this site, and it was the best results I'd had with a smoker but I had always just cooked for myself because I don't like experimenting and then having others eat it.

I wasn't really sure I needed to join this Pitmaster's club, but it was following Meathead's Ultimate Thanksgiving turkey recipe that changed my mind. After dry brining and using the wet Simon & Garfunkel rub under the skin, and rubbing the skin with oil and salting it, I wound up with a Turkey that my family thought was out of this world and one of the best turkeys they had ever had. And yet I was so busy cooking the entire meal that I spaced out and forgot to check the thermometer and overcooked the bird (just a little). But we used a derivative of his thin gravy and it all turned out fine.

So, Meathead, I had to join because you really allowed me to do something that just didn't make good food for myself, but my whole family benefited from your site, so here's my support!

As for what else I've cooked on this site, I've tried the Last Meal ribs, the tri-tip, beef ribs, and Pig Candy. I've now made Memphis Dust, Big Bad Beef Rub and Simon & Garfunkel rubs and stocked my shelves with lots of herbs and spices (since I always seem to need something I've never normally bought before). This is now my go-to site, and I've recommended it to two friends with smokers.

Keep up the good work, I now look forward to smoking more stuff from this site! I bring it up on my phone while I'm in the market if the bug hits me to smoke something and I get what I need knowing it's going to be good eating!

DHRacing

Awesome intro post DHRacing, welcome aboard! Yours is a classic success story experienced by most if not all of us. Meathead's recipes are great, time tested and proven, plus the science behind the 'why' of each recipe or technique. I find even a well known national barbecue association's online recipes to be similar to what you described- lack of real detail and technique, such as 'cook over medium high heat for 3-5 hrs'. Could it be any more vague? That's like saying how to get to Vegas- drive medium fast for 3-5 hrs. Lol.

Attention to every last detail is what makes things great, from cars to furniture to food!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos! Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

• DHRacing
      DHRacing commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Huskee, I never received that meat temp guide magnet thing that was promised when joining up. Did you guys run out of it? Just curious. Let me know. Thx!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Send Max Good a private message from here in The Pit. He'll get you squared away. I'll forward this to him so he knows you're coming

Don't forget about the recipes for the side dishes! The Greek potatoes are one of our new fav's.

The Huli Huli chicken is definitely worth a shot also!

Welcome from the Lowcountry of SC!

Comment

Welcome! Your education really begins after you join The Pit my friend. You'll soon realize how great the people here are and how every one here is still learning and bouncing ideas off each other. That what make this place special. Smoke On!!!

Comment

"Smoking at 5200 feet" in SoCal? Arrowhead?

Comment

Welcome to the Pit DH

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
            "Smoking at 5200 feet" in SoCal? Arrowhead?
            Yup. I sometimes wondered if the thinner air up here affects cook times, but I've since learned its really not the time, its the temp it gets to, so I quit worrying about it. I know my biggest problem is temp control on the smoker since its pretty windy where I am, so I just throw a towel over the smoker (but not blocking the vents) and the temp stays more consistent now.

Comment

• The Burn
              The Burn commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a beautiful part of SoCal. Lived in Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo beaches for 15+ years.

Welcome DH what does the racing stand for? What kind do you do?? Just curious. Thanks for the support of this site. It is really great.

Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
              Welcome DH what does the racing stand for? What kind do you do?? Just curious. Thanks for the support of this site. It is really great.

Guy
              Hey Guy,

I totally forgot to check on this thread so I guess better late than never. DH aren't my initials, it's Dark Horse Racing. We are a family of weekend warriors and we do stuff on the cheap but we have fun nonetheless. A dark horse is a little known participant that makes an unusually good showing and we felt that matched us. We boat raced for several years and won a bunch of national class championships. It was fun but the grind got old so we moved on and now we do Poker Runs. One of the things about race days is the downtime after the day is over. While one could tend a bbq and try to keep up with the race day, it was easier to throw stuff on a smoker and let it work its magic while you're busy. We had lots of friends with smokers and the food was awesome after a long day and that is what got me thinking about getting my own. Anyway that's the story on my handle.

Comment

Welcome DHRacing

Comment

Welcome aboard DHRacing.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

DHRacing, Welcome to The Pit! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here