Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from south Louisiana.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from south Louisiana.

I've been visiting AmazingRibs.com for a couple of years and realized today I really should support it -- so I joined. I spent some time reading tons of posts before following my "homework" assignments, including writing this introduction. This really is a fine community of friendly, kindhearted folks. I wish I'd have joined sooner.

I acquired my love of cooking from my mom and grandmother, two amazing Cajun cooks who are long gone. As much as I enjoyed knocking around the kitchen over a stove, I never got the hang of cooking on hot coals outside. How hard could it be? We've only been doing this since being chased around the backyard by dinosaurs, yet at best I got inconsistent results. After burning enough money on ruined meat, I decided just to stick with propane -- something with a knob I could control. And so it went for nearly twenty-five years.

About eight years ago, I read an article on SeriousEats.com about sous vide cooking. It made perfect sense to me and led to an insatiable appetite for the science behind cooking. And that immediately led to more and different cooking. And that led, inevitably, back to cooking over hot coals. Thank goodness for high speed Internet, I was able to start to put the pieces together and give it a fair shot. I remain a "work in progress" but I have turned out some things I was proud to serve to others.

I still have a gas grill (a small portable Weber) but I admit to having developed over the last few years a serious case of GAS -- Grill Acquisition Syndrome. It started with a little Weber Smokey Joe. I still have that grill, along with a Weber Jumbo Joe (both modified into mini Smokey Mountains,) a Pit Barrel Cooker (to my mind the closest thing to bullet-proof success,) a Pit Boss Kamado ceramic grill, and the latest was thanks to an end of season sale at Walmart: an Oklahoma Joe Bandera smoker.

My grandkids are learning how to use these things, and I love that they're having fun cooking for the adults. It's a fun time to be alive.

John

JohnInLA I got your back up here in Shreveport. Welcome to the Pit.

Comment

East Texas via Lake Charles via Riceville (suburb of Gueydan)

Welcome shay!

​​​

Comment

Welcome to The Pit John.

Comment

Around these parts we call GAS, MCS- more cooker syndrome. Cuz we end up havin smokers & all sorts of thig-a-ma-jigs to cook on, plus the yuutencils and such. I can only imagine your ma & grandma's influence on your grillin & smokin & cookin in general. Looking forward toward your input. Welcome aboard, eat good & have fun!

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said sir!

JohnInLA Very nice post! And welcome to The Pit from the Great Lakes State of Michigan! I look forward to learning about your Cajun secrets.....

Comment

Dude, welcome from lake Charles! Keep up the cooking, and I can' wait to see your posts about the Oklahoma Joe!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for the support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
              • Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
              • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

This is a great place to hang out and we hope you will join us on a regular basis. Jump in on the fun!

-Spinaker

Comment

Hey friend! Huntington Beach welcomes you and the spirit of your Ma' and G'ma. Family is always welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your "culinary journey"!

Comment

Welcome to the pit JohnInLA, thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, John!

Comment

Welcome JohnInLA

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here