Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from South Central PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from South Central PA

First off... I want to make a DIY smoker that can cold and hot smoke. I haven't settled on a plan yet and welcome suggestions.

A little about me:
    I am a Volvo salesperson so typically have lots of hours at work. But I'm off Thursdays, Saturday nights and Sundays. So those days are pretty much the only days I truly have time to cook. I'm totally comfortable calling myself a foodie. My TV is usually on food network or NFL network.

I will pretty much cook, eat, and try anything. But for a long time poultry was my nemesis. Overcook it and it's horrendous. Undercook it and I'm getting people very sick. Beef and fish on the other hand, if from a trusted safe source, a little under cooked isn't an issue. Once I learned about brining, poultry moved back into the cookable arena. Less risk of horrendous from overlooking. And now; between sous vide, brining, better understanding of temperature control, and a thermapen I don't avoid it at all.

I think that's a good enough intro. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and let me take this chance to thank you all in advance for your help and ideas.

Welcome to the Pit! What kind of fuel do you want to use for your smoker? There are many options and many DIY solutions. About how much food do you want to cook in it at a time? There are some brilliant posts in the Pit where folks have built amazing things. Dig in. Search. Ask questions. Many times there are others that have the same questions, but there's almost always someone with a great answer! Eat good food and have fun b

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Originally posted by kmhfive View Post
          Welcome to the Pit! What kind of fuel do you want to use for your smoker? There are many options and many DIY solutions. About how much food do you want to cook in it at a time? There are some brilliant posts in the Pit where folks have built amazing things. Dig in. Search. Ask questions. Many times there are others that have the same questions, but there's almost always someone with a great answer! Eat good food and have fun b
          That's a big part of the debate. I was thinking about electric or propane camp burner to start with. But have thought it would be cool to make it versatile enough to use charcoal in the future.

I really like the filing cabinet ideas I have seen. But need a better look (live in an area with strict ordinance rules). So it might have to look like a small shed. Know what I mean? But I won't be doing whole hog or anything that needs size. The biggest things will probably brisket, slabs of bacon, and ribs. But also smaller things like chicken thighs, cheese, broiler chickens, etc...

I'll definitely be looking through the forums for ideas.

Comment

Welcome from Atoka TN

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

It sounds like a fun project to take on!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!

Comment

Maxriptin you're off to a good start, ya wanna wanna. Eat good & have fun!
                    There will be plenty of help to build yer smoker. Be patient & work hard.

Comment

Welcome Maxriptin

Comment

Welcome to the pit Maxriptin ! Sounds like you have a good job, being able to smoke on your days/nights off.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! Have a look at the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) before breaking out the hammer, nails, and acetylene torches ...

Comment

• Maxriptin
                            Maxriptin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I noticed that on the list of the give away options this month (or next month?). It might be the way to go since it would probably cost less than anything my crazy mind might try to create.

• Maxriptin
                            Maxriptin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just to let you know... I did go with the PBC! And love it!... I haven't had much time on the forums so haven't posted my cooks but plan to soon. So; thanks again for the suggestion!

Welcome Aboard! Hometown = Greensburg, PA.

--Ed

Comment

Hey Pa. Huntington Beach welcomes you sir.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here