Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Korean BBQ to baby back ribs in Tucson, Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Korean BBQ to baby back ribs in Tucson, Arizona

Greetings to the pitmasters of Amazing Ribs. I was referred to this site by an avid smoker, who decided to help a curious newbie. I was born in Seoul, South Korea, and have been marinating and grilling beef, chicken, pork, fish, and shellfish my entire adult life. I never smoked meats until a few weeks ago. My curiosity started at a neighborhood BBQ competition in Westminster, Colorado, ten years ago. I won the competition by popular vote with my grilled Korean short ribs, cut LA style (in cross section). The gentleman next to me said, "You know that's not real BBQ. I got up at 3am last night, and have been tending my low and slow smoker to make brisket for this event." As it was 4pm when he said this, I wondered who would spend that much time, starting at that hour, to produce BBQ. Now I know, after eating pulled pork, brisket, and ribs all over the southwest.

Some of my fellow volunteers at the University of Arizona told me about their meat smoking adventures. I decided to get serious about this alternative to grilling. The advice I received was buy a good thermometer, some serious gloves, and visit AmazingRibs.com. I bought a Pit Barrel Cooker with accessories, a ThermoWorks pen, and stuck the AR temperature guide to my fridge. So far, I have produced amazing pork ribs, poor beef ribs (I must be doing something wrong), good prime rib, and excellent chicken. Next on the list is brisket, turkey, and pork butt, my true goals in this endeavor.

Looking forward to ongoing advice and guidance from y'all. As an offering from my roots, here's my 97 year old mother's recipe for Korean marinade, which is excellent for any kind of meat and fish:

2 cups soy sauce, 1 cup sesame oil, 6 stalks green onions finely sliced, 0.5 to 0.75 garlic bulb chopped or crushed, 1 heaping tablespoon of chopped or grated ginger, 2 heaping tablespoons of brown sugar, optionally 1 level tablespoon of sesame seeds, roasted or not. Place dry ingredients in a large jar, crushing the onions, garlic, and ginger into the sugar. Add soy sauce and oil. Tightly screw on the lid to the jar, and shake vigorously for ten to fifteen seconds. Spoon over sliced meats sparingly, wait 5 to 60 minutes, and then grill.

Let me know if you like this marinade. All the best, Nick

Welcome to the Pit, Citizenoftheworld! I had a roommate in college whose mother was Korean, and I was introduced to Korean food by what he brought back after weekend trips home. I will definitely try this marinade!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I'm a big fan of marinades very similar to your grandmother's for chicken thighs, I'll use her recipe to the letter next time!

Comment

Will be trying that marinade! My wife already likes the proportion of garlic. How could you make bad beef ribs if you already make popular choice kalki? Welcome, looking forward to some Korean tips!

Comment

Awesome, way to show up in the pit! Huntington Beach welcomes you fine sir!

Comment

Citizenoftheworld, welcome to the pit

Comment

Welcome aboard and thanks for the recipe!

Comment

Welcome. Will try the recipe. And by sparingly, how sparingly are you talking?

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! Great recipe! Good choice on cookers also! Post pictures with your process and results. There's plenty of help to be had here!

P. S. With modern equipment, you don't have to stay up all night feeding a fire to get "real" low-n-slow BBQ!

Comment

Talk about a warm welcome, thank you. I thought someone might notice my post, but y'all are great. GregS , sparingly means spoon enough marinade onto your protein so you have touched the exterior, not so it's swimming in it. For instance, with a 1 to 1.5 pound steak, I'll take a couple or three tablespoons to each side and rub it in with the spoon. Let it rest, and spoon any runoff back on to the steak, for as long as your patience lasts. If you leave it long enough, the meat will absorb all the marinade; I only know this because visiting relatives were over an hour late for dinner once. EdF , I bought beef ribs at a specialty meat shop, applied a dry rub and put them into the PBC. They came out dry and tough. I probably needed a wet sauce. I'll keep experimenting. Hope you all enjoy the marinade.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome aboard from NY. That sounds like a great marinade. I will also be trying it. Thanks.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here