Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It never rains in Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It never rains in Oregon

This might be a dumb question but when I purchased my first smoker 3 years ago, I followed Meathead's advice and installed an Engelbrecht analog thermometer. I became less trusting of the temp readings this year when my ribs were done way earlier than previous years. Question is, does the accumulated soot on the temp probe (since cleaned) affect the temperature reading.
    Thanks.

Yes. Soot and grease are insulators so there is a temperature difference between the heat source (air inside the grill) and the heat sink (air outside the grill).

That said, on a long cook that temperature difference shouldn't be too big since there is a quasi-equilibrium that is reached.

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, and welcome to the Pit!

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
    Yeah, soot/crud on yer probe gonna have an impact on yer temp readin's...
    There's no dumb questions here; I done asked 'em all...

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what you think.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! Love ya, Brother!!! (0% wine)
      At th' Best of Times, I only think that I think...

Welcome TSLAXK

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome aboard, eat good & have fun! Direct all questions to Mr. Bones.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Pppppbbbbtttt!!!!
          Gonna haveta call on ya', fer comprehensible answers, then...
          Nobody seems to unnerstan' me, alas...
          BTW, when didja quit stalkin' peeps' places, shootin' Weber pics???

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't!

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome aboard from Florida!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you Oregon!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here