Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike D. from west of Portlandia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike D. from west of Portlandia

I'm just starting out with grilling - in fact, my grill isn't even here yet. I found this site last week and have really appreciated the level-headed and informative nature of its how-to's and mythbusting. I'm glad I read over the product reviews before settling on what I got! Can't wait to develop grilling skills!

I have a method for steaks that I consider outstanding, that I hope to duplicate on the grill:

Stainless, oven-safe pan with avocado oil, on stove at Warp 10
    Oven pre-heated to 450
    Steaks taken out of fridge, patted dry, salted and peppered, and then rub it into the meat
    When oil starts smoking a bit, the steaks go on (carefully) and are not touched for 2.5 minutes
    Flip, and do the other side for 2.5 minutes
    Insert wired probe into one of the steaks
    Put pan into the stove
    Take out when 133
    Devour with great haste

The downside to this method is the smoke in the kitchen - despite the windows open and a fan blowing the smoke out, it drives my wife nuts, even though I actually love it.

Really hoping I can hit (or exceed, if possible?) this steak prep method outside on the grill. Looking forward to all of your advice, tips and tricks!

EDIT: specs are as follows - Broil King Signet 320, Thermapen Mk4, and Thermopro TP10
    Last edited by Thundercat710; July 30, 2017, 07:31 PM. Reason: Thought I added my specs on the signature...guess not

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mike. Perfect steaks = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGjJQQCfqNY

Comment

Welcome aboard! You fit right in with the taking of great delight of the smokey kitchen that drives your wife nuts. In the devouring with haste don't forget to chew each piece with the appropriate designated chews, found on page 39 of Meathead's book. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Ya can duplicate, an' even surpass yer method, out of doors...
              Plus, yer wife prob'ly like it more, too...
              Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                Welcome to The Pit Mike. Perfect steaks = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGjJQQCfqNY
                I can't believe I just saw that. Those actually looked too good to eat. As a man I admire once said, "It belongs in a museum!"

Comment

Welcome to the pit! I guess that oil creates a lot of smoke in the kitchen. Try the reverse sear method on the grill instead, you'll like it.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome Thundercat710

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!!! Thanks for the support.

Comment

Welcome! You'll definitely be able to take your steak method outdoors, and maybe even refine it further!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Mike ... you're in the right place now ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! Thanks for the support.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here