Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After crutching brisket should you unwrap before cambroing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After crutching brisket should you unwrap before cambroing

I 'm not sure how to start/ask a question. New member. Started a post earlier... got great answers. Can't seem to
    do it again. Maybe this will work. When brisket has been crutched and reached 200 degrees-ish. Before cambroing should it be unwrapped for 15 min or so so it won't overlook? And then rewrapped and put in cooler?

Once I wrap, I don't open it until it's done resting. Keep it wrapped tight and put it in an oven/cooler/Cambro and rest it for two hours(or more!) before slicing and eating.

Comment

If you are running pretty hot on the tail end of the cook you can let it cool a bit before placing in the cambro.

If I am going to a 170 degree oven I will definitely let it cool a bit, UNLESS I got a really crappy Select in which case I will gladly drop that dude in an 180 degree oven to rest for a couple hours.

As stated above, don't unwrap until you ready to serve.

Comment

Once you remove it from the heat, it stops cooking.It was done at ~ 160*. What you have been doing since then is tenderizing it and rendering the fat. Leave it wrapped and get it in the cambro. Some will even add hot water to the cooler to heat it up so that the meat will cool slower.

If you were cooking something to med rare or med, then you would not hold it because it could still rise in temp in a cambro.

Comment

Km, at what temp do you cambro at? I cambro at 195 ish because I assume it will cook more. And it seems overcooked after 2 hours

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            GreggF , I typically put it in my oven on "Warm/Hold". This is about 170F. I have tried once on my GMG, just dropping the temp to 150F and holding there.

Of cambroing

Comment

Thx, jerod ,Ron-again, km, . Practice w good advice makes perfect

Comment

What they said.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here