Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Missouri

I'm not real big on introductions but here goes.

I received my first smoker in the Fall of 2013 (Masterbuilt electric that I have already killed), and shortly thereafter found AmzingRibs. I like to constantly try new things, and when I do my research or browsing it always brings me back here.

I grew up in the Low Country of South Carolina and worked in many restaurants in high school, college, and a few years beyond. I've lived all over the Carolinas (Eastern, Lexington, and Mustard regions!) and my career in the marine industry has brought me to the Missouri Ozarks.

This site really appeals to me because I throw a lot of effort and research into my hobbies. My first big smoke was making all 3 kinds of Carolina Barbeque for a get together with my girlfriends family. We did Thanksgiving Turkey and Christmas Ham in the smoker, an OK attempt at brisket, 60 lbs of ribs, pulled pork, and chicken on 4th of July (had to run two smokers), and have at least a chicken or pork butt in the smoker once a week. Recently I experimented with a deboned whole chicken and a pork rollup.

Orignial equipment was a basic Masterbuilt electric which took all of 9 months to destroy and now sits in my storage shed waiting on new parts. I replaced with an upright propane unit from Sears. I use a Maverick remote thermometer which is great when the probes aren't broke, and then default to the Taylor model they sell at WalMart. I plan on fabbing and welding my own wood/charcoal smoker when we eventually build the patio but that's a few projects down on the list.

I hunt, fish, work on home improvement projects, and turn wrenches when I'm not smoking.

Welcome! You seem to have lots of experience and great ideas... cant wait for your posts and pics

Have a look at this page for new members , the mods will want you to do some homework! >>

NEW MEMBERS, please read: here's your homework assignment

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club Forum fondly called The Pit! To help things run smoothly and make sure you get the most out of our great and ever-expanding community here, we've compiled some things for you to do as your time permits. I like to call this your homework assignment. The red words are links, please click them &

Comment

Right on Frankenstein! I was born and raised in the Lowcountry, and God willing I'll die here (hopefully not soon though - lol)!

Don't sweat they failures - everyone here has had them; just use them as learning experiences!

Have a great Turkey Day and Welcome to the pit!

Comment

For not being good with introductions you sure did a great one! Welcome aboard and thanks for the support. Smarkley is doing great at assigning the homework so I don't look like the bad guy

Regarding your Maverick probes, make sure you keep them dry, especially the joint between the probe & wire. If that joint gets wet it can harm the probe.

Keep us updated on your homemade smoker fab project. There are a few folks here who have talked about similar endeavors. Cooking with wood is my favorite thing, make sure you build it to accommodate a good sized wood fire in case your REALLY get into that int he future.

Look forward to reading/seeing more from you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here