Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Saskatoon, Sk, Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Saskatoon, Sk, Canada.

I bought a 6 burner Weber Genesis this year and I also have 22" Napoleon charcoal grill. I am having trouble getting the temperature below 325 F (maverick wireless 2 probes). I wish I had bought a Weber but I could not pass up the end of season sale price thinking it was virtually a Weber anyway. Big mistake, however, I am a bit of a Macgyver so I ordered some 3/8" high temp oven rope and appropriate high temp glue to seal the lid perfectly. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet but I hope it works - if not, the culprit is the loose air control intake o the bottom. I can think of no way to seal that up better. If anyone has any hints it would be welcome.

Now to the giant gas grill. I am happier with this than I expected. I have done 3 slow cooks so far and have sat through a stall but let it go just to learn. I can nail the temp to between 225 and 230 all day long. I put enough ribs on for my wife, Joanne and I and 4 guests at 10:00 AM yesterday and brought them off at 205 degrees at 4:30. I followed Meatheads instructions and salted them the night before and the added MMD about an hour before the cook. I was going to use a faux cambro to hold them until 6PM but I didn't have enough foil so I put them in the oven at 190F (it is a meile oven and the temp control is accurate). I finished them on the grill when I put the corn and marinated mushrooms on. I cut each half rack in half again and used Cattleboyz Original BBQ sauce on half them. I made sure everyone had some of each and the reviews were awesome. I think Canadians like their ribs wet for the most part but I think we made some converts to rubbed ribs alone last night. My only mistake was finishing them a bit too long and they dried out a bit but the bark and the sauce caramelization was great.

Once I fix the Napoleon I will post again.

Hello everyone. This is an awesome site and after reading several strings about the science of grilling and your awesome ideas, I feel I have more to learn than could be learned. I think I will always be a rookie - but I will work hard to get better
    Last edited by Sociable; July 15, 2017, 06:06 PM.

"The path is the goal"! Said some wiseguy. Welcome!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you Canada 🇨🇦. We are on the lower left F the map. Our map.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to greatnfun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! Don't know much about your kettle, but if it's close to Weber, you might look at the number of briquettes you light initially. Consider a SnS. You could block some of the bottom with heavy duty foil.
                Last edited by kmhfive; July 15, 2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Sociable
                  Sociable commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the suggestion kmhfive. I just finished installing the gasket and will fire it up tomorrow, then I will use your idea with the tin foil on the bottom on the next cook and see what difference each makes. The idea is brilliant and simple. See? I'm smarter already. Thanks again.

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hope you solve the issue! I absolutely love cooking on my kettle!

Welcome Sociable

Comment

Welcome aboard macgyver. I don't know, I think I'd watch it with the loght thing. Sounds like you're already havin fun, so eat good.

Comment

• kmhfive
                    kmhfive commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for catching that FireMan. Got it updated now.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Sociable! Happy to have you here. It sounds like you a perfect fit for a group of BBQ folk like the rest of us. Cheers!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                    1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) me with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
                    2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. The Canadian membership keeps growing.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. We are glad you decided to join us. Thank you for the support. This is a great place to hangout and learn the ins and outs of the BBQ world. We have a great group of people here that are more than willing to help you out with any questions you may have. Especially with that gasser. We hope to hear more from you soon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here