Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Forum, need some advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Forum, need some advice!

Howdy Ya'll! I've been gleaning from this site for about a year in a fit of guilt...GUILT I say, I felt it was time to pony up and become a member. I started smoking a year ago and now a funny thing happens...the neighbor kids all magically show up around 1/2 before whatever is in the smoker is coming out of the smoker. I didn't even know we had neigbhor kids until I started smoking. Somehow, I never get to eat much.

Need some advice. Found out a coworker from Scotland is here not realizing it's the July 4'th weekend. He's a bit stranded as no one showed up at the office and Friday and no one is going in on Monday. I invited him over for ribs and pulled pork at noon: he's the punctual type. I figure I'll get the fire going somewhere around 11pm Sunday night, put the bork putt in at Midnight and turn in. I'll get up Monday morning and continue. Question though, roughly what time should I put on the pork ribs? Strangely, over the last year, I've just simply never timed this. I typically just make the fire, put the ribs on, and eat when the neighbor kids show up. How long does a rack of pork ribs take @ 225?

Welcome from Indiana.

Timing depends on Cooker and kind of ribs (baby back, St. Louis, spare)...and if you plan to crutch them

baby backs I would give 4 -5 hrs to be safe
    stl and spare I would give 5-6 to be safe

remember you can always hold things in a faux cambro or low set oven.... but speeding the cook up is not as easy. Give yourself plenty of time... including the pork butt

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      squids4daddy Nate is right on unless you cook at 275 which on my BGE cuts 1-2 hours cook time. Ten pound Boston Butts typically take me a minimum of 12 hours at 225 if I don't wrap. Wrapping at 160 or 170 typically cuts the cook time by three hours.

• squids4daddy
      squids4daddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Nate and all of you for the warm welcome! They're full rack and the smoker is a big weber bullet. It's fully tricked out, tight ad stable. I'll put pork on about ~11pm, if it's done early I'll keep in a warm oven. Ribs at 6am the next day. Memphis dust!

Welcome to The Pit. Are they full racks, St louis Cut, or Babybacks? Each has a range of times it takes them to cook. And some racks occasionally have some loin meat attached which affects cooking time. I mostly do SLCs and plan on 6 hours. It doesn't always take that long, and every once in awhile it takes a bit longer.

Don't forget that you can bump the temp up to 275* if you are running behind, and not hurt the cook.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you Sir! That's mighty kind of you to treat the coworker. What are you cooking on? Nate and Ron gavenyou world class advise. I had issues yesterday with my 26" kettle and cooked 2 racks of back ribs at 260° my sauce went on after about 3hours. The temp,won't hurt but plan on longer as mentioned. Good luck!

Comment

Looks like you're already getting some sound advice so I'll just say Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome from sunny Florida!

Comment

squids4daddy Sounds so fun! Great questions and suggestions already.

You didn't mention what type of smoker you are using?

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota.

Comment

Howdy from Northern Virginia. Welcome to The Pit. You've come to the right place for answers.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Enjoy cooking on your WSM!

Comment

squids4daddy, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"! I can't Quibble with the advice You have Been Given So Far! I use Both a Weber Kettle, S 'n S W/a BBQGURU DigiQ DX-2 temp control and an Oklahoma Joe Highland (COS) Offset Stick Burner Interchangeablely for Butts and Ribs depending on quantities! Times are about the Same on both as You were advised! It's Good of You to Share Your Home, Your Holiday, Your Family and Your "Q" with a Wayward Traveler! Being of Scottish Decent (100% American by God) I recommend You don't offer Your Guest Irish Whiskey❓ 🤗😇🤗 🌠 🎇 🎆 🇺🇸 "Happy Independance Day t You and Yours" 🇺🇸 🎆 🎇 🌠 Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• HouseHomey
                        HouseHomey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I love your posts Dan!

• Danjohnston949
                        Danjohnston949 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Eric They are just More Evidence that if BS Were Bugles I'd be the Whole Parade❓ 🌠 🎇 🎆 🇺🇸 "Happy Independance Day to You and Yours" 🇺🇸 🎆 🎇 🌠 From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here