Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Pit

Howdy, new to the pit. Found this website the other day looking for recipes. Finally talked the wife into getting a smoker. Did a little research and wound up with the Oklahoma Joe's highlander. Used it for the first time last weekend smoked a couple of racks of ribs, they turned out okay, but I think I'll be getting a new digital thermometer before I smoke anything else.

Welcome to The Pit, we are happy to have you here! Having a good digital thermometer is key to great BBQ. I have the Fireboard and I love it! Check it out here. Fireboard has an online, cloud based set up. So you can run errands or what not and still check on your Pit. It also graphs and charts all of your cooks for you. It is expandable out to 6 probes. They are also working on adding a controller to the unit as well. In my opinion, this is the best option out there.
    Also, Maverick is a very popular option as well. No thrills but they work and are cheaper.

I have a few things for you to check out. This will help you get around, think of it as small homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.
    Thank you for the support! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Make sure to jump right in on the fun. This is a a great place to hang out!

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you Sir.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
            Glad ya' joined us here, an' delighted to see another OK Joe's Highlander user...
            Please, tell us more about yer first rib cook on it...
            I'll bet we can up your game, long before th' digital thermo arrives!!!
            No sense not tryin' smokin' more, is there???

Comment

Welcome fowlsuds

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! You've come to the right place.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Mr. Bones: I did some research and trimmed them up to STL style, found a rub online, let them sit overnight in the fridge with the rub then smoked them with the 3-2-1 method using lump charcoal and a mixture of hickory and apple chucks for the first couple of hours then strictly lump charcoal for the rest of the smoke. I also had a small pan of water in the firebox for the first few hours. It seemed pretty easy to maintain 225-235. After 6 hours they looked good but seemed to be a little underdone although they looked like they were done. (no, no one got sick.)

I did purchase a Maverick ET732 tonight from a local sporting goods store (only place local that had it in stock) Now to find on here, the best way to prep and smoke a pork shoulder... feel free to to drop some links if you know where to look. I tried searching but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here