Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Joined from Central Illinois!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Joined from Central Illinois!

Hey, all! Like many of you, I stumbled upon this site during equipment research, and I decided to pull up a chair and stay for a while. Most people call me "Mush" (last name is Mushrush, and I think every person with that last name uses that nickname).

We're hailing from Downs, IL...just southeast of Bloomington/Normal. Nice, small town within spitting distance of the city (aka "supplies").

As for equipment, I've got a standard Weber 22" Charcoal in great shape and a 10-year-old Fiesta Blue Ember gas that is slowly giving up the ghost. The newest piece of equipment just arrived a couple of weeks ago...a GMG Daniel Boone. It was the researching of pellet grills that got me to this site, and the information on this site helped me a ton with the decision-making!

The DB has been broken in well, with kabobs, an awesome pork loin, and my first ever spatchcocked chicken that almost brought tears to our eyes as we ate it. I also did salmon a couple of days ago with really good success. I'm still trying to dial in the reverse searing method for burgers/steaks, but I'm not giving up! The first burgers were smoked to around 135 and then seared on cast iron inside...tasted great but was too done. For the second try, I brought the burgers up to about 125-130 and then took the temp to 500 on the grill to try a sear; it wasn't done enough for most of my family (argh). I'm going to try cooking to 125-130 and then cast iron on the stove to finish them off next try.

Planning on spare ribs over the 4th - I had good success on the Blue Ember in the past...I cannot wait to see how they turn out with a more controlled grill and an accurate thermometer. I've also got a butt in the freezer to attempt pulled pork soon, and, though I am trembling as I type this out, I think I might try my first brisket in the coming weeks. I'll be buying a Maverick before I attempt the brisket, though.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot and meeting/interacting with you on here!

Mush (Chris)

Welcome! Congrats on the new GMG Daniel Boone.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit cemushr! Great intro. We're glad to have you here, and yes congrats on the new Daniel Boone!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) me with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
      2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• cemushr
        cemushr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Huskee...all read up and homework completed! All that's left is the gold star from the teacher.

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Thanks, Huskee...all read up and homework completed! All that's left is the gold star from the teacher.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Gold star.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	339786

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey No one's ever really asked for a star before. I suppose had you asked.....

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man, Remember the BBQ medals you guys used to pass out?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker Yeah, I'll have to dust those off. They're on a shelf somewhere...

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mush.

Comment

Welcome cemushr

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

cemushr Huntington Beach welcomes you Sir! I love your photo/avatar. I have a solution to that finicky doneness problem your family has. First, what are you using for temps, second..... just make one and give them the chicken nuggets. Ha!! Kidding, my family would run me out of town. No worries you will nail it.

Comment

• cemushr
                  cemushr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm using the probe that came with the DB. I think that, had I just finished them on the skillet, they would have turned out perfectly. I might have to ask Santa for a set of Grill Grates in a few months (that, or buy them now and beg for forgiveness from my wife).

Welcome to fun and learning! I love my GMG. Have fun.

Comment

cemushr, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                  Enjoy "The Pit"!
                  In addition to the 👍Maverick👍 You may want to Consider an Instant Read ThermoPen MK-4 by ThermoWorks, They have the Red, White and Blue Versions on Sale Now for +- $80.00! They are Great for Steaks, Salmon, Reverse Searing, Roasts and . . . ❓ You should find a Link at the HomePage, Reviews and Ratings! 🇺🇸 Happy 4th of July 2017 🇺🇸
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• cemushr
                    cemushr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just ordered the ET732, but I'll definitely keep the MK-4 in mind. Thanks, Dan!

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, all!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here