Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Pit

Greetings. I just "jern'd up" and am anxious to learn and share information, news, tips, and recipes. I'm in the agonizing throes of selecting a smoker. I have a charcoal offset that I purely hate, mostly because it requires way too much fussing around with. I'm leery about the electrics, despite their convenience, though there are some pretty serious-looking ones out there (e.g., Smokin'It and similar boxes). I'm also dubious about smokers that use only wood chips -- it seems that they'd burn down to nothing so fast that you will be constantly adding chips for something like a brisket or pork shoulder. Any comments, thoughts, etc. will be happily accepted. (PS: I'll be locating the smoker on a decent-sized deck.) Thanks to all. C

Welcome to the pit! You're in the right place, and the reviews here are an excellent resource. Lots of ways to go, but if you are looking for less fuss (less tending the smoker) pellets aren't a bad way to go. I've used the Bradley electric too, and I think it does OK. However, if you want something that can sear, I would not recommend either of those. Or get a 2nd grill.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you. Good luck. I'm a kettle kinda guy but I'm sure others will chime in.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado.

Normally, I'll recommend a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) to most anyone in your position. It fits pretty much any budget and while it can sear, that's not its greatest strength. Another great choice is one of the medium or larger Weber kettles (22 or 26") with the appropriate Slow n Sear (SnS) accessory. That combo excels at both smoking and searing ... although it won't have the capacity of a PBC.

If you haven't already done so, check out the searchable database of reviews on the AR main site: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/

Comment

Welcome luhnlaw

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! You may find that there are ways to adjust the COS to get a good smoke out of it while you review your options. I agree with MBMorgan that the Weber kettle with a SnS is a great way to start if you are absolutely done with the COS. I don't have a PBC, but it does produce a moderately high volume of quality BBQ. I do have a pellet cooker and I love it for low-n-slow cooks. It's truly as much a set and forget setup as I've ever used. However, my brothers have Kamado-style cookers and they work great also with little fussing. Plus you can expand your cooking repertoire into breads and other fine foods!

So, as you read up, keep in mind that you will get a case of MCS and there is no cure. You can treat the symptoms temporarily, but it will keep coming back!

Think about (and share if you're willing) what foods you want to cook at first and for how many. Then think about how much you can spend initially. Based on those three ideas, you will find a good cooker to start with. Keep in mind that you'll want the proper accoutrements--a good thermometer being among the top items on that list!

Have fun and eat good food!

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
              Welcome from Colorado.

Normally, I'll recommend a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) to most anyone in your position. It fits pretty much any budget and while it can sear, that's not its greatest strength. Another great choice is one of the medium or larger Weber kettles (22 or 26") with the appropriate Slow n Sear (SnS) accessory. That combo excels at both smoking and searing ... although it won't have the capacity of a PBC.

If you haven't already done so, check out the searchable database of reviews on the AR main site: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/
              Makes good points. I cook on a BGE and if your budget would allow it I would look at a Ceramic for versality ranging from low and slow to roasting and baking to grilling with or without electronics.

Comment

Welcome Welcome!

Lots of good suggestions above. If you don't want to mess with your smoker, then that puts the Stickburners off the table. You have several good set-it-and-forget-it choices.

Pellet Cookers. They smoke while you sleep. Period. I am looking forward to putting one back in the rotation at the house when I don't have the time to tend my beloved Stickburners.

PBC. I haven't used one, but there is a loyal and vibrant following on the form who have demonstrated these things work!

Weber Smoke Mountain. I cut my teeth on a 22.5" WSM, and they are terrific! Practice a bit and take some notes, and you will know just how you can set the coals, vents and then go to sleep. I can cook 10 racks of ribs on each WSM, or 4-6 pork butts.

Ketttle and SNS. Again, the following here is robust and successful! This is a very versatile combo, but you are limited on the size of the output. If you want to cook for more folks than a handful, you will need a dedicated smoker. (I own a kettle, and use it. And I own an SNS...but haven't used it yet. The SNS crew may excommunicate me for this sin.)

My suggestion in helping you use this wonderful crew to help you narrow your selection: Pick one or two of these options, plan out some typical menu's that you will want to cook for, and ask some more specific questions.

On another post, pick the same or different cookers, and some other menu selections, and do the same.

If my life and several others on here are any indication, you may want to plan on owning a couple smokers...

Have fun!
                paul

Comment

Welcome to The PIt. There are plenty of great recommendations above, but we can be more specific if we know:

How many will you be cooking for - regularly and on occasion?
                  How much time are you willing to spend during the cook - set and forget to tending maybe every half hour?
                  What do you like to cook, and what would you like to cook?
                  Are you looking for one cooker to do everything, or are you possibly willing to have several cookers?
                  And how much would you like to spend? You should include the price of a good instant read digital thermometer in your budget at the very least. A leave in thermometer with at least two probes is also extremely helpful.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. There are tons of great choices out there, especially if you have room for multiple cookers. The kettle makes a great all round unit if you are more limited on space.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit, we are happy to have you here!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you use on a regular basis. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for the support! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Make sure to jump right in on the fun. This is a a great place to hang out!

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome from Florida!

Comment

Welcome aboard! MBMorgan pretty much covered the bases w/ PBC & the kettles w/SnS. You will do some great eatin & some great learning before you get knee deep in MCS & get fancy with big money. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here