Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New House; New Obsession in DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New House; New Obsession in DC

Hi all! I am closing on my first home next week (It feels crazy to even type that!) and shortly thereafter, if not before, I will be closing on my first smoker! I'll also be getting a gas grill for convenience.

Grilling I'm familiar with. Smokin will be new. So, I'll be lurking around here for a while trying to figure out what type of smoker I want, what techniques I need to learn, and all that good stuff. Cheers from Washington, DC!

Welcome to fun and learning! You can feel free to ask questions. The folks on here are glad to help and have a wealth of knowledge. Don't be shy!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, from up the road @ Ft Meade! There are quite a few NOVA and DMV members here.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! Have fun smoker shopping ...

Comment

Welcome from a couple hours west of there. My advice is to not make up your mind too quickly, and to do thorough investigation into anything that interests you here on the forum. Be open-minded and chase down all possibilities. I "knew" what I was going to get when I signed up, but have changed my mind twice since due to all the information here. Pretty sure my mind is made up now though. Enjoy and glad to have you!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, and congrats on your new home! What type of smoker are you looking to buy? I'm sure you'll get great help from all forum members.

Since you’re new, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome! Happy to have you. As Henrik mentioned. What type of smoker are you looking for? Off-set, Kamado, Weber Kettle, Bullet, Vertical Cabinet, Barrel, Pellet the list goes on. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Clay.

Comment

Thanks y'all! Glad to hear there are DMV folk here. Maybe that means I can get some bona fide samples one day...

Comment

Welcome ClayJones

Comment

Thank you Henrik! I'm pretty sure I've done all my homework. The email address I provided is the real deal.

Henrik and Spinaker (sailor?) I'm not sure what kind of smoker I'm looking to get. It not an easy decision. I was expecting to find a pretty clear-cut pros and cons list somewhere, but the more I search the more I realize it ain't that simple lol

I think that I want an offset or a vertical cabinet type... I like the idea of an offset because I enjoy tending a grill. It's a little hard to explain but I'm pretty sure this is one place I don't have to explain that. A while back before I started living in apartments I lived in a very social house with a bunch of roomates. One of the things I loved the most was inviting a bunch of people over, filling up the chimney with charcoal (which, don't laugh, was a next level boss move in that circle) and getting down to business on the cheap little grill we could afford. Manning that flame is just a good feeling and I think I'd get my fill of that with an offset.

I like the idea of a cabinet because I think its relatively low maintenance process would mean that I'd be able to use it more often, doing things like throwing a few chickens in there on a Sunday and having lunch meat for the week... but I'd loose that hands-on feel.

So, I'm looking at Lang, Backwoods...The Good One cookers caught my eye this morning so I'm looking into them. I like the idea of doing a little charcoal grilling when I catch the mood.

I'm trying to hover around $1500 - $2000 for something that will really last. One thing I hate doing is buying temporary starter equipment. As my friends and I have been saying since undergrad "If you're gonna go, go hard."

Comment

• smokinfatties
                          smokinfatties commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Dude, to me this post screams KBQ. You get the real smoke flavor as it uses 100% wood, its a cabinet style and has great capacity (up to 60 lbs meat). Most people's downside to KBQ is that they don't want to tend to the fire, but if you wanna do that then it sounds like a perfect match!

Originally posted by ClayJones View Post

So, I'm looking at Lang, Backwoods...The Good One cookers caught my eye this morning so I'm looking into them. I like the idea of doing a little charcoal grilling when I catch the mood.

I'm trying to hover around $1500 - $2000 for something that will really last. One thing I hate doing is buying temporary starter equipment. As my friends and I have been saying since undergrad "If you're gonna go, go hard."
                        Now you've got the idea! With a target cooker and a price range you can get some great feedback! Now, how many you reckon on feeding? Small group 4-6 or bigger, say 15-20?

Comment

ClayJones Huntington Beach Welcomes your sir. I have relatives in Hyattsville and College Park. You lost me at Lang ( $$$ ) however one always needs a 26" kettle with a Slow n Sear. That's is IMHO. All the people above are like the Google of BBQ. You found the right place.

Comment

• ClayJones
                            ClayJones commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hey Homey. So I got a 22" kettle about a month or so ago and have had a couple ques at my house... This morning I woke up thinking, "I should have gotten the 26" like that guy on Amazingribs said..."

Kmhfive, I saw other threads and noticed those questions always came up quick so figured I'd get it out there early lol

I figure probably small groups of four or five most of the time, with bigger groups of about 25-30 a couple times a year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here