Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy! BBQ_Bill here in HOT Phoenix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ_Bill, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! ❓ Participation and Attendance are Mandatory!
    Enjoy "The Pit"!
    From what Spinaker Says You Wrote the Book on the Subject! ❓❓❓
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

You all are so kind. Thank you for the warm welcome.
      Happy to have found this site, and a BIG THANK YOU to Spinaker for pointing me in this direction.
      I will get some photos and KBQ info together to post here soon.
      -
      Again, thank you all.

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Phoenician

Comment

Thank you BloomHybrid.
          I have actually decided to skip smoking meat this coming weekend which I am thinking will be the second "No Smoke" weekend for me since Oct of last year.
          Was SOOOO sick on one weekend at the beginning of 2017, I could not even begin to get out of bed for over a week, so I did not smoke meat that one weekend.
          -
          As for right now, it is SOOOO hot, plus I am feeling kind of "burned out" so I have decided to relax this coming weekend and not push myself.
          -
          My customers are aware that this weekend is a "break" for the 'Smokin' Dude.
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; June 29, 2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

What part of Phoenix do you live in?
            I am at Camelback and 101.

Comment

• BloomHybrid
              BloomHybrid commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm in NW Phoenix near Metro Center.

Hello Bill, glad to see you hear. Looking forward to reading your posts.

For those of you who have a KBQ, Bill is the gentlemen who can help you improve your rig (yes, it can be done) with 'handles' and the means to take your door off for cleaning. To whet your appetite for Bill's knowledge and experience, read the comments on this KBQ review: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...becue-c-60-pit

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois​​​​​​!

Comment

Thank you ComfortablyNumb.
                I am looking forward to meeting you all.
                Also...
                Will certainly pass on my KBQ mistakes as well, in hopes that some of you don't have to experience them.
                -
                Oakgrovebacon, I thank you for the warm welcome Sir.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Bill. Sounds like you are bringing a lot of know-how. Enjoyed your posts on the main site and looking forward to more here in the Pit.

Best regards,
                  Jim (also 65) in Gilbert

Comment

Thank you Jim.
                    I appreciate your vote of confidence Sir.

Comment

So...
                      As far as my BBQ experience...
                      I'm thinking that for over 30 years I have been using two good old Weber Kettles, and in the last 10-12 years or so, gravitated to offset smokers.
                      (You know, the cheap ones that burn out in 2 to 4 years)
                      These two units/styles were my only methods of for BBQ, Grilling, Cooking and Smoking of meats outdoors.
                      My "go-to" for chicken and steaks with great results was the offset, winning a local neighborhood competition and the approval of family and friends using my "Southwest" rub and good old Mesquite chunks/logs.
                      -
                      Back in 2007 I took a 3 week vacation, traveling to Missouri to visit family.
                      I pulled my offset smoker and a small load of Mesquite wood along behind me in my little utility trailer.
                      My plans were to sear and smoke several Rib-eye steaks out at my Uncles farm where family would gather.
                      -
                      After the steak feast, the flavor got to them, and this 15 or so steak cook turned into around 3 days and nights of non-stop offset smoking of everything that my Uncle "threw" at me!
                      This included dozens of burgers, several summer sausage rolls and my very 1st beef brisket.
                      I knew at that time way back then that I needed a better and easier way to keep the fire temperature and smoke quality correct.
                      -
                      Late last year, my serious research into pellet grills took me to Bill Karau's KBQ smoker.
                      You might have read on the main site that my latest beloved but cheap offset smoker is now a storage place for my BBQ stuff.
                      -
                      So...
                      Since October of last year I have been KBQ smoking Beef Brisket, Beef Short Ribs, Sockeye Salmon, and Chicken.
                      I have also smoked a few Beef Burgers, one Tri-tip and 3 Lamb Racks on the KBQ.
                      Basically, my two KBQ's are now my only method of smoking meats.
                      I do still sear on my Weber Kettle but also like searing steaks on the top of the KBQ firebox with a cast iron grill laid on top.
                      -
                      Well... that's about all I can think of for now.
                      I do want to thank you all once again for such a wonderful response and warm welcome to The Pit.
                      SMOKE ON!

Comment

Nice write up Bill. That is a great journey to KBQ bliss.

I love steaks grilled over the firebox on the KBQ. That is something special. I usually use a Grill Grate panel or my Cast Iron grate from my Hibachi. It fits perfectly.
                        I still have yet to try salmon in my KBQ. Gonna do some pork belly burnt ends tomorrow. I can't wait for that. Gonna be lights out!
                        Have a great holiday!

Comment

• EdF
                          EdF commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And try to stay cool!

• BBQ_Bill
                          BBQ_Bill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Funny that my very best Rib-eye steaks WERE seared and slow smoked on the offsets.
                          NOW, the same "eaters" have declared that the KBQ seared and smoked steaks are the "Bomb" and beat my best offset smoked steaks by far. Truly the KBQ is an amazing machine.

• BBQ_Bill
                          BBQ_Bill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks EdF.
                          I'm workin' on that cool thang.

What an experience! All that time on the COS gave you a significant advantage of us newbies with gadgets and gizmos. Sure, we can cook good food, but when something's wrong, we get lost! I'm sure I'll be leaning on your experience soon. Thanks again for joining!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                          BBQ_Bill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Happy that Spinaker sent the "smoke signals" to get me here kmhfive.
                          A fine group of people here with a lot of experience.
                          Looking to learn a bunch of new stuff as well as share.

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! I spent one summer in Phoenix, so I do know HOT it gets! Glad you joined us.

Comment

Thank you kindly Thunder77.
                          Glad to be here Sir.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here