Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hola/Hi from Puerto Rico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hola/Hi from Puerto Rico

Greetings from Puerto Rico. I'm a retired Microsoft Eng. and Army Vet.. I started smoking ribs about 5 years ago in a cheap square grill. the grill was used for burgers and hot dogs, sometimes pork chops or chicken.But i wanted o learn how to properly smoke some ribs. Past attempts failed miserably. Look up video in you tube and one day i finally smoked some fairly eatable ribs.
    That prompted my search for information. Read anything and everything, watch any video available, purchased books. finally i was smoking ribs, great tasting RIBS. Neighbors raved about them, invited me to cook outs and wanted me to smoke them. Sadly my cheap grilled started to die and I was out growing it. So my wife decided on my birthday to surprise me with a larger grill (without my knowledge), you guess it, she purchased a beautiful extra large all stainless steel, with all the whistles and bells gas grill. Was nice but not my choice.
    So off to Home Depo and wow, there a great macho looking smoker (offset smoker, Brinkmans), price was so enticing, what is an ignorant man to do? I bought it. Took it home, fired that baby up(dry run), eyes glistening, smoke every where......OMG what have i done.......this piece of crap was leaking everywhere. Undaunted I decided i would try some ribs. First couple of hours with lots of patience and labor, i manage to keep temps between 225 and 250F. Then the nightmare begun, temp started to drop, added coals, temps keep dropping, i shook the ashes off the coals, but could not get temps over 195F.
    finally i realize...no space underneath the coals to allow air to feed the combustion. So i open the side door.....big mistake ....temps went through the stratosphere. Needless to say , i took my ribs out and finished them in my stove oven.
    Very next day i went and purchased a Weber Kettle (22"). Been smoking well last couple of years. But not as much as i like to. Until I ran into Amazing Ribs and that fire was lit up again. Joined and the very next day purchased a slow n' sear. Should be at post office this coming week. Cannot wait to cook ribs, and some fresh tuna/Dolphin fish on it.

I love deep sea fishing. So fish is big in my house. I also play World of Warcraft on my off time. Looking forward to learning from your experiences and become the pit-master/ hero in my community.

Thanks and please excuse my long post. glad to be here.

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
      Glad ya joined us here, an' Thank You fer yer Service!
      Puerto Rico is a beautiful place; I was based outta Roosevelt Roads Naval Station, in 1987, fer 'operations' in Central America...
      I jus' know yer gonna LOVE th' Weber kettle / SnS combination!
      (Mighta fooled around, with them, a bit, my dang self!!!)
      Lookin' forward, with great anticipation, to pics of yer newly mastered rib cooks!!!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        hmmm... 87... central america... I'm beginning to wonder bout you Mr. Bones.

Welcome to fun and learning! I love my kettle now that I have the SnS. You will, too. Don't give up completely on the COS. I dont have one, but you may be able to make some modifications that will get it going. Mr. Bones may be able to direct you to the best sources of information re: that.

Great post! Love the details. Thanks for your service. Post pictures of both fish and cooking. We love pictures. I personally can't think of a better fish than Atlantic Dolphin. They are beautiful to look at, catch, and eat.

Enjoy great food.

Comment

Glad to see the Fire is Lit! Now, keep em burning, that's an order. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Buenos dias. Huntington Beach welcomes you sir. Thank you for your service. I have my 26 kettle on now with my first SnS cook. just salted Nekkid meat. im dialed in at 241degrees right now. I look forward to your pics.

Comment

Bienvenidos! Great intro man! We love it. Hope to hear more from you in the near future. If you need any help at all, please let The Pit know! This is a great community. Thank You for the support and for your service to our country.

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will make sure to post some pics. Once again , thanks for making me feel at home.

Comment

Welcome Blaedes

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ....

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! Glad you joined us.

Comment

Welcome! Puerto Rico is on my vacation list.

Comment

From our last fishing outing Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9114.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	328265

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here