Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Midwest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the Midwest!

Introduction post is a little late, but wanted to say I'm glad to be on board. I've always enjoyed cooking and making stuff with my hands. I have a pretty nice gas grill, but wanted to get into smoking. Following advice here, I purchased a 14.5" WSM and Maverick dual thermometer. 3 weekends ago I made my first pork butt (see below) and two weeks ago was ribs! Turkey is next up for Thanksgiving and I'm having a blast. Thanks again to all the hard work that's gone into the site and all of you who answer questions on this forum. I hope to be around for many years to come...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	32119

Welcome to The Pit torouse! Glad to have you aboard, thanks for the support. Great job on your signature!

Here's some 'new member' homework for you:
    When you get a minute check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel if you haven't already, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, and there's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here (but you did great, you must've already read that too).

We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy!

Comment

Hello toro! Welcome to the pit. Thats some good looking Q! WTG!

Comment

Welcome! That's a good looking butt! We hope you're around for years to come as well.

Comment

Welcome Toro!! You are going to have fun here sharing with the rest of us. Great looking PB. What rub did you use and what was the IT when you took it off?

Comment

IT was 203. I used Memphis Dust. My preferred butcher's smallest one was 8.5 pound bone-in, so my cook took 16 hours when I was hoping it would be done in 12. I'd invited family over, but they had to go home without because it took so long. They enjoyed the leftovers, but it wasn't the same. I'm noticing a trend of cook times not cooperating with your meal schedule Next time, I'll start at 10pm instead of getting up at 5am. Or maybe just get 4-5 pound boneless from the grocer

Comment

Originally posted by torouse View Post
              IT was 203. I used Memphis Dust. My preferred butcher's smallest one was 8.5 pound bone-in, so my cook took 16 hours when I was hoping it would be done in 12. I'd invited family over, but they had to go home without because it took so long. They enjoyed the leftovers, but it wasn't the same. I'm noticing a trend of cook times not cooperating with your meal schedule Next time, I'll start at 10pm instead of getting up at 5am. Or maybe just get 4-5 pound boneless from the grocer
              Starting earlier is a good plan. Also, when it comes to butt you can crank the heat up and speed the cook up. The butt will take a slight hit in tenderness but it's better to be eating than hungry and it will still be really good. You can also wrap and that really speeds things up even more. Great barbecue is worth the effort and wait to a certain extent, but you have to feed the guests, so always have a few tricks under your sleeve to get dinner on the table before they leave!

Comment

It was the stall that killed you I bet. I haven't got a "Cambro" yet but I can see I really need one as when the PB is done it is not a time thing and I need to make sure it is done on time or early. I refuse to use a crutch when I hit the stall so that always adds another 2 hrs to my cook when doing a PB

Comment

Yeah, in hindsight, 12 hours was waaaay too optimistic. I purposely didn't foil as it was my first attempt. I did crank the heat towards the end. Mainly, 5am was as early as I was willing to wake up. It will be better next time. I've got some coolers around I can use as a Cambro. I'm starting the turkey 2 hours ahead of schedule to give myself some wiggle room . . .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here