Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Texas

I just joined tonight, so thought I would say howdy. Or in Texan that comes out "Heidi"! I live in the suburbs south of Houston.

I have been grilling (charcoal only) for about 23 years now, the first 10 of that on a $20 Wal Mart charcoal grill. Then I got a Chargriller Grilling Pro, and now for the last 5 years the Outlaw (no smoker box). I know the Chargriller doesn't get a lot of love, but I really had good luck with mine, even learned to smoke briskets and pork butts after I got the huge Outlaw..so I could lay the brisket down, and not have it reach the indirect fire. I came to realize that it leaked like a sieve and went through coals and wood like crazy but I pretty good about tweaking things and made some good food. Even a couple of turkeys. I personally like the adjustable fire grate for cooking steaks, chicken, fajitas, etc.

The downside was that I had to babysit the thing for any long cook, that I practically had to stay outside or go in and out a lot (thus as my wife notes tracking in a lot of dirt)..so I knew an upgrade was needed. After a ton of research I decided on a PBC and the Weber Performer. I just got the PBC last week and will get the Weber soon.

I cooked bone-in chicken breasts by hanging them on the PBC and after they were done grilled 8 steaks and some mushrooms. It was just amazing how was the setup was, and how great the food was! My gosh that chicken was the juiciest and tastiest we had ever had...my wife, who doesn't eat all that much..picked hers to the bone.

Looking forward to getting the Weber (I want the Performer for the attached table and other features) as well.

Anyway looking forward to talking with you folks.

Welcome from Kentucky!

Comment

Welcome from the Galveston area!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome native_texan

Comment

Thanks folks!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome aboard there native_texan. Since your new & all, we do require pics of all new purchases of cookers & first cooks. So I would get to it
                & then be prepared to show us all about the Weber when it arrives. It is a law. It can be found under section FM 4250 in the AR by-laws. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome Native! Pass any Texas brisket tips this way. Thnx!

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                    Welcome aboard there native_texan. Since your new & all, we do require pics of all new purchases of cookers & first cooks. So I would get to it
                    & then be prepared to show us all about the Weber when it arrives. It is a law. It can be found under section FM 4250 in the AR by-laws. Eat good & have fun!
                    Just got approval from the HOA to replace our patio slab and patio cover so will wait until that is done now to get the Weber, but will share 2nd PBC cook pics the next time around. Thanks!

Comment

Howdy, back atcha, from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!!!!
                      Loved yer intro; don't never feel ashamed fer any cooker ya' can make great bbq in.
                      Th' Magic ain't in th' cooker

Comment

Originally posted by checkairspeed View Post
                        Welcome Native! Pass any Texas brisket tips this way. Thnx!
                        Thanks! The one thing I would say is sure never saw anybody wrap a brisket in butcher paper or foil..at least in East Texas where I grew up. Obviously someone in Texas invented the "Texas crutch" but I never use it and they always come out juicy and the stall only lasts maybe 20 minutes..and that was on my Chargriller. I will say that I usually go for the first 2-3 hours at 280-300F before going down to 250F. Can't wait to try brisket on the PBC!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit and to the PBC community...

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning. You've got some great cookers! When you do go for the Weber, take a hard look at the Slow-n-Sear. It is a game changer.

Comment

Howdy from a displaced Texan in Northern Virginia. Welcome to the Pit, but beware it spreads MCS (more cooker syndrome) throughout it's membership.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here