Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago City smoker here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicago City smoker here!

Greetings everyone - got Meathead's book for Xmas and finally got around to joining the site. I live right smack dab in the middle of Chicago - surrounded by honking horns and skyscrapers and am lucky enough to have a decent enough sized back patio to do some real outdoor cooking.

Originally with a Weber Genesis Silver, but a few years ago, picked up a medium Big Green Egg. Original plan was to keep the Genesis for convenience, but after 2 years of not touching it again, decided to give it away to a friend.

Only problem with the BGE is the size and made it difficult to do larger cuts for long cooks (stuffed a few 12-13lb briskets on it, but tough to do...)

So now in the market for a pellet smoker and am going a little nutso trying to decide - Rectec v Yoder v Mak 1 v Blazn' Grill Works v GMG v Traeger. Every time I think I've set on one, I read another review that sways me a different direction.
    Biggest problem I think is gonna be delivery and figuring out how to get whatever I decide on up a narrow staircase, through my place back to the patio.....

Looking forward to some good cookin' this summer!

Howdy from Kansas Territory, an' Welcome drbisco !!!!
    Glad to have ya' here!!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We are happy to have you.
      I would go with the YS 640 or the MAK. REC-TEC also makes a great product.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank You for the support!

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. After spending time on this site, you will probably end up with multiple cookers. Have fun picking the pellet one.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Several cookers...🙈 What on earth would make you think that?

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          I have acquired 3 since joining the Pit, and am considering one or two more. It's a fun obsession

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          We call that MCS in the Pit... More Cooker Syndrome. The necessary accessories are part of MCS too.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! Glad you joined us.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Try these folks at https://ceramicgrillstore.com/ for some add on that can expand your capacity on e Medium BGE.

Comment

Welcome from over near Rockford.

Comment

Welcome from Issaquah Wa. used to live in Chicago. Maybe rope and pulley to hoist the new cooker up lol

Comment

Welcome drbisco! Thanks for your support. That's great that you're smack dab in the middle of the city and yet you're still smokin'! Which pellet cooker to acquire is quite a popular question lately, there are some fine ones. Since you mention several of the big players, I might say remove Traeger from your list and focus on one less. Traegers are great at entry level products, but have never come out swinging with the likes of the others, although it appears they've been trying harder. Max has had some issues testing their newer product(s). Tough choice still. Each other maker has some fine stuff, each with their own pros and cons relative to the other.

Comment

Good luck with the shopping quest. And Welcome!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Until the PS arrives, I'm stuck to smaller cooks. Like this 2.2 lb dry-aged bone-in tomahawk. Reverse sear at 225

to 120, then seared on high direct heat....
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1087.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	313575Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1084.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	313574

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You poor soul, how will you ever cope with these small cooks Looks awesome!

• EdF
                            EdF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The restrictions we have to deal with!

• Breadhead
                            Breadhead commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Use your new smoker to get the internal temperature of your steaks to 120° and then sear them on your medium BGE.👍

Nice looking steak! It's a shame that you are so limited!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here