Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another new guy--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new guy--

Hello everyone! My name is HC and I am located in Goose Creek, SC. So far this site has done wonders for my grilling and especially smoking. I have had a few meat smoking disasters in the past and been gunshy for a few years, but I broke down and picked up an El-cheapo Brinkman 2-door cabinet smoker. (Note: I did read all the reviews beforehand and made all the required mods before use - new thermometer, grilling wok for firebox airflow and green egg nomex tape to seal all the leaks.)
    So far the experts here have helped me smoke a jam-up prok butt (Memphis Dust using apple wood) and a decent brisket flat (Bad Beef Rub using pecan and hickory). The Memphis Dust is out of sight on pork! I found the Bad Beef Rub a might hot with all the black pepper and chipolte - the wife found it WAY too hot.
    I am using the dry brining method for everything now; but my memory is slipping. Last night I had to chuck a whole smoker of chicken breasts and pork chops because I mis-remembered to use 1-2 teaspoons of salt per pound --- not the actual 1/2 teaspoon!! The meat was so salty it burned your mouth. I will say though - following the 2 zone method on the gasser and all of the other tips, the meat came out perfectly tender and juicy with a nice smoke ring from the little smoker box insrted over the burner; so it wasn't a total cooking fail -- at least I learned a valuble lesson!!
    I will be trying the "perfect steak" later this week - can't wait to try the new (to me anyways) searing method.
    Anyway, glad to be on board! Thanks to all you experts - wonderful site!!

Hello HC and WELCOME to the pit!

Comment

Hiya HC... welcome. You will find lots of good info here!

Comment

Thanks! I meant to post this as a known and tested contribution.
        It is also posted as a comment under the flank steak bullet:

CARNE ASADA MARINADE
        • 1/3 cup white vinegar
        • 1/2 cup soy sauce
        • 4 cloves garlic, minced
        • 2 limes, juiced
        • 1/2 cup olive oil
        • 1 teaspoon sea salt
        • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
        • 1 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
        • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
        • 1 teaspoon chili powder
        • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
        • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
        • 1 teaspoon paprika
        In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, 4 cloves of garlic, juice of two limes, and olive oil. Add salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, cumin and paprika. Whisk until well blended, and then pour over the steak (or put in Ziploc bag) and let marinate for at least 1 hour; 8+ hours is preferable for the most tender meat.

NOTE: Use flank or skirt steak cuts for the best results and slice against the grain of the meat after it has been allowed to rest for 5 minutes after coming off of the grill.

Comment

Welcome HC and thanks for your support. It is easy to forget something with all of the info on this site. I doubt you will every forget anything to do with salt again. You are right this is a great site. I am going to try your marinade this weekend. Have you tried Flat Iron steak?

Comment

I haven't tried flat iron, but I beleive it would work for all types of beef steak. I have used on some nearly freezer burnt NY strip steaks and it did pump some new life into them.
            Once I left skirt steak in the Asada marinade for 4 days and it was a bit much. I intended to only leave for a day or two, but they got pushed to the back of the fridge and fogotten about.
            Yes - you are right about the salt - I'll never fall in that pit again!!
            "Once burnt - lesson learnt"

Comment

Hi HC from SC, welcome to this glorious place we call The Pit! Sorry to hear about your oversalted chicken, I think more of us have been there than let on

Here's some 'new member' homework for you, when you get a minute

Check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature (tip #1) with your equipment. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of your equipment and your cooks. We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy

Comment

HC, welcome.

On the Big Bad Beef Rub, instead of 3 TBS black pepper, put 1 TBS White Pepper.

Comment

Welcome, I enjoy hanging with the geezers over in Hilton Head

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here