Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just joined the cludc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just joined the cludc

Well I got a WSM 18.5 last year and made chicken on it once, came out great. I marinated it with it with some Mojo sauce. My guide was a book called low and slow by Gary Wiviott, that I put on my kindle. The premise is to start simple and work your way up to brisket. Well I never continued and came across AmazingRibs.com and thought the info was so much more encyclopedic. I have decided to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving, 12-14 lb, fresh killed, and feel very comfortable with the instruction provided. I intend to do a dry brine and inject with butter. I live in Pa. and may face outside temps in the 30's to 40's. I have purchased a Maverick ET732 and a Butterball injector thru Amazon. It was shipped with the Meat Temperature Guide. I still need to get the gloves. I am using Royal Oak Hardwood lump Charcoal as the aforementioned book claimed that true smoking required this brand. I now see most like Kingsford and will switch when this fuel runs out. I was planning on heating the WSM and brushing it down as Harry Soo does, before I actually do the cook. I will use the Minion method and replace my deep water pan with the deflector as Harry suggested so I can Jenga the most amount of fuel in the fire box. Slightly apprehensive as I really want to make a turkey that is finally moist, so fired of dried out poultry. I am a stationary engineer. I used to be very proficient with Weber kettle 10 years ago, but that was mostly ribs, mostly dry, burgers and wings. Did have great success with pizza on a pizza stone. Well I am smitten with smoking meat and would love any tips for a newbie. Would like to thank all here for sharing your great love of "Q" and as Harry and Meathead say I want to spread the love of great food with my friends. Thanks all and any help would be appreciated

You are definitely well on your way!!!

Thanks for the support!!!!

Comment

Welcome to another Pennsylvanian - our numbers continue to grow. A little cold weather shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying Q. Some of us find ways to insulate our cookers and others just add a little more fuel. Now forget everything you've learned elsewhere and soak up the wisdom on this site.

Comment

WELCOME!!!!!

Comment

Welcome umamidadi! We're glad you're here. When you have a minute, please check out the Welcome and Announcements channel. You'll see my welcome post, a tips thread (tip #1 is to die for) and a thread on how to post photos. They'll get you started right!

Again, welcome!

Comment

Welcome and thanks for your support.

Comment

Welcome, but what's a "cludc"? Lol.

Be wary of a book that tells you true smoking requires a certain brand a charcoal. Certain types of charcoal work better in certain cookers, for certain reasons. True smoking requires mastering what you choose to use in your cooker, and getting the thumbs up from those eating at your table!

Glad to have you here. We look forward to pics of that fabulous turkey you're going to make!

Comment

Welcome Umamidadi!!
                I'm by no means a BBQ expert but what I have found is to take bits and pieces of info whether about charcoal preference etc and experiment with it.
                My example is PBC says use kingsford briquettes, I said to hell with that and I get better Q with lump charcoal.
                So books are great but practical knowledge is greater.

Comment

Hey thanks for the welcome, I got lump right now but will experiment with Kingsford next. I am definitely keeping a log, the old memory ain't what it used to be and after a few cold ones won't remember how or what I did.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here