Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie wanting to purchase a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a no brainer from this guy, PBC all the way! Welcome from Rapid City, South Dakota!

Comment

Your large capacity requirement eliminates many popular residential smokers. There is no shortage of choices in the world of big smokers. Lang and Backwoods are great choices. Lang will be more versatile, but require more skill.

Comment

I prefer to cook with wood.I'm over 60 and do all nighters(i cheat by napping)
        welcome from Issaquah Wa

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I know what you mean!

I do hybrid cooks I start out on the COS I have and get usually 4 or 5 hours of that good wood smoke into the Hunk o Protein then I wrap. After wrapping your just cooking so burning just wood is not needed so I switch over to my Faux Kamado (Akron) w/temp control device. Its as set it and forget it as they come. Set the Alarm on the Wireless Thermometer and go to bed. If something goes wrong the Thermometer alerts me. then once probe tender is achieved into the cooler for its 2 to 3 hour nap. If you just had the Lang you could use your oven set to 250 and finish in that. That way not so much babysitting.

Comment

Ok... let's shoot the works on capacity and ease of use.👍

Here's the Rolls Royce of Kamado cookers!

You can smoke 150lbs of pork butt at one time. You can set this cooker up for that cook and not open the dome for 15 hours if you didn't want to.

CeramicChef says he can control the smoke flavor he puts on his meat in the 32" version of this cooker so he gets real light smoke flavor, medium smoke flavor or so much smoke flavor it's so bitter you can't eat it.

Me being 65 years old, I'm NOT going to stay up all night to feed a stick burner, no matter what!!!

This cooker does meet your ease of use desire... so now you have a viable option.👍

Can't find what you want? We can build it for you... 50% deposit to build to order. Balance due when shipped, and on the water.Most tiles are sorted for shade and tone. Please send us photos of tiles you would like us to try and match. We will send you photos of the sorted tiles for your approval before we build. This

Comment

Welcome khlar! glad to have you here. I live in the Pacific NW, just down the road from bardsleyque actually. I currently own a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 and a Hasty-Bake Gourmet. They are both fine cookers .... the Weber is a really good, charcoal based, bullet smoker. The Hasty-Bake is, in my humble opinion, the finest multi-purpose cooker out there. It has the ability to direct grill, roast and smoke .... and because of the nature of the adjustable firebox, it can be used like a Santa Maria grill as well.

If I was going to recommend just one grill/smoker to some one, it would be the Hasty-Bake.

That said, if I was going to invest as much in a pure smoker as I did in my all purpose cooker, I would go with an offset that could burn wood or charcoal. I've been slowly gathering info on those and think I'm down to a Jambo Junior or a Lang 36" Hybrid. I've also seriously looked at the Engelbrecht if I wanted another step up from my Hasty-Bake.

Comment

Welcome aboard. Eat good & have fun. Whatever you do don't buy Shirley's smoker.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't know Shirley was selling her smoker...🤔

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                What's wrong with a Shirley's smoker FireMan

Well everyone.... thanks for the info. Really not sure what to do yet! I'm thinking the Lang is going to require too much babysitting at this point in my life -- But now you have me thinking about pellets and eggs! I need something that can kind of take care of itself and these look like options -- but I still like the backwoods.... UGH!! Too many choices!

Thanks again and feel free to keep advising me

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                I feel MCS setting in... just give in to the urge!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Ceramic cooker with a controller is also a great option.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Relax! Go with the flow ... of the bucks out of your wallet!

khlar, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
              Friend and We Are Friends, You have Just Asked The Members the Holy Grail of Questions! It's akin to Asking What Kind of Wife Should You Buy Next Time❓ IMHOP, If haven't Done a Lot of BBQ'ng You May Want to Start on The Low $ End such as a Weber Kettle (26”), S 'n S, & Drip and Griddle before Jumping Into Bigger Investment! This will allow you to Determine If It's What You Want to Get Into for the Long Haul! A Word of Caution the Members are More than Willing to Spend Your Money! I Might As Well Be Among the First! You Need a Maverick 732-733 Leave In Dual Probe Digital Thermometor, a Thermowerks Thermopen Instant Read Termometer ( MK 4 ) and Take a Good Look @ The FireBoard 6 Probe Digital iCloud Thermometers! A remarkable Instrument!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

khlar well, I can tell you that I spent a year researching before I bought my Hasty-Bake. Until that point, I was cooking on a cheap offset (COS) and doing okay with it. It even had an adjustable firebox when I was cooking direct heat, which was impressive for an under $200 COS.

Take your time. The price range and smokers you are talking about are big investments and last pretty much forever. It's not like buying a $200 grill that you know you're going to replace in a few years. Consider learning curve, ease of use, how much firetending is required, quality of product, support community, company reputation, type of fuel, cost of fuel, quantity of food you can cook ..... and much more. But that should get you started.

Comment

khlar , I think Danjohnston949 is way off base. The Pit members at large are NOT trying or willing to spend your money.

(Note, the Komodo Kamado 42 inch Big Bad is tilting in just under $10 grand and I think can cook a T-Rex on one load of lump)

((ANNNND, you can pick your own tile colors for it!!))

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The 42" KK is $9,200 + freight. I weighs 1,500 pounds. You might need a forklift to unload it. It does come with casters though.

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Notavegan, Could Be❓
                    From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Welcome to the pit from Southeast Alabama

Comment

I am a stick burner as of last weekend and the first time using my 36" Lang was a huge success. I watched tons of videos and had lots of help from this forum, and the knowledge I was given had helped a lot. If your willing to get up from your chair, put your beer down for a minute, and throw a log on every 45 min or so, you can handle it. Surprisingly, the biggest challenge I had was getting the fire going but it went perfectly after that hour or so to get up to temp - I used a torch which was new and a lot of fun. Highly recommend the Lang and wish I bought it sooner.

Comment

I started out with smoking on Weber grills before stepping up to a simple, smaller offset. Last year I spent the bucks and bought the Meadow Creek SQ36 offset smoker. I had compared it to the Lang, and really one of the main reasons I bought it was that shipping for the Lang to the Milwaukee WI area was expensive compared to me driving to Iowa one morning and picking up the unit. I bring this up as you live in western New York and Meadow Creek is built in PA. Road trips are always fun

Comment

If I was getting into smoking and wanted something easier to operate I would look into the pellet grills like the Yoder YS640. A lot of folks here like the RecTec line. Meathead likes the Mak. Be forewarned that pellet smokers have a milder smoke flavor. Some people like it but others prefer more smoke taste.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here