Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie wanting to purchase a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie wanting to purchase a smoker

So....after a month + of reading reviews and searching the forum and reading different topics, and lurking in the background. - I really want to purchase a smoker. I'm new to the forum and haven't done any smoking in a number of years. I'm 49 years old and have learned that without the proper tools the job is very difficult to accomplish, but with the right tools, magic can happen.
    I'm a novice woodworker on the side and proper tools in the right hands can make masterpieces. With wood, I know exactly the tool I need to take me to the next level, the tool that will make seamless joints.... but when it comes to smoking BBQ I don't know which way to turn.
    I would like to be able to smoke enough for a fairly large group of people, 35-50 maybe. I'd like to be able to smoke various kinds of meat at the same time on occasion. Something that doesn't require constant babysitting.
    I'm super-interested in a Lang 36" deluxe and the Backwoods Chubby G2. My skill level scares me about the Lang, and I'm just very unfamiliar (other than reading and watching videos) of the cabinet/waster smoker like the Chubby!
    so...if you were looking to get into smoking for the first time in a long time- would you recommend one if thesec2 units, or something completely different? I want a tool that does a great job, if the operator does his job.

With that capacity requirement, I'd set aside skill concerns and go with the Lang and master it. Be warned that any stick-burner is going to need a bit of baby sitting, that's just the nature of the beast. But it can also be the most rewarding in terms of knowing you've mastered your craft.

Personally, I'd love to have one, but I can't justify it, so I use a COS and let people think I'm insane. I've also used a Weber kettle for a long time and have nothing but good to say about those, too. But in your case, and given what you have shared, I say pull the trigger on the Lang and get ready to embrace a new hobby/lifestyle.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Happy to have you. The Chubby G2 is a very good option as is the Lang. They both have great capacity. However, you need to ask yourself, How much work do I want to put into this? Both of these options will last a long time, they will make great food and will be a joy to own. The Chubby is easier to run than the Lang, but the Lang will give you some amazing BBQ that only comes from a wood fire.
      If it were up to me, I would take the Lang all day. But I am more of a wood fire man than a charcoal one, if I have to pick. The Lang will require a feeding every 30 mins or so.

Let us know what other questions you have. Hopefully Max Good will chime in as well. He's the man for this kinda stuff.

Also.....Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Most agree that a stick burner produces the "truest" BBQ flavor, but it's also the most work. At my age, I'm not willing to stay up all night to tend a fire, so I use a kettle with a controller so I can get a decent night's sleep. You have to decide how much work you want to do. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Almost forgot - welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Howdy! Welcome from Kansas Territory!
            You still askin'?
            Them I'm sayin:
            "Lang"
            But, as disclosed above, Spinaker I am a stick burner, as well...

Comment

A hearty welcome from northern Illinois to you.

Comment

You're willing to spend the money, don't necessarily want to dedicate the effort an offset requires, and want to cook for family and large groups. Why couldn't you buy a larger kamado style smoker like the Big Green Egg XL, Primo Oval XL, etc? They have stacking racks on them so you could fit 4-5 pork butts on them maybe and then feed a bunch of people. I don't own one, maybe somebody could chime in that does.

Comment

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Others might agree with you, but his comment about tools says loads about how he approaches a craft. He won't be happy until he masters a stick-burner.

I do not have one but the Shirley cabinet smokers look like a really good deal. I to have been doing research but cannot justify one yet..... but one day I will.

Comment

• Notavegan
                  Notavegan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shirley you must be joking.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't call Amajeff99 Shirley...😎

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OMG, did it really get to this?

I agree with HJS that one of the larger kamados might be a good choice. Any of them would easily handle overnight cooks of enough butts or brisket for a good sized crowd.

If one is seriously interested in a Lang 36 and is fine with the tending that it requires I would seriously look at a Karubecue. It's in the same price range as the two grills khlar mentioned.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Where do you live? A lot of people may have good advice not just about the major dealers but reputable locals, as well.

Comment

Welcome khlar

Comment

Welcome to fun. I am not an authority on smoking. Still learning… But, I have done brisket and pulled pork for large crowds successfully on a pellet grill. It's not the same smoke control as a stick burner, but it's less man-power intensive. I have also done some smoking on a Weber kettle with the SnS where I can increase the smoke a little with the addition of wood chunks.

Whatever your choice, if you pay attention in the Pit, you'll turn out great BBQ!

Comment

Welcome from upstate New York.

Comment

Welcome from Florida!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here