Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie wanting to purchase a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireMan
    replied
    Welcome aboard. Eat good & have fun. Whatever you do don't buy Shirley's smoker.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    OMG, did it really get to this?

• ecowper
    replied
    Welcome khlar! glad to have you here. I live in the Pacific NW, just down the road from bardsleyque actually. I currently own a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 and a Hasty-Bake Gourmet. They are both fine cookers .... the Weber is a really good, charcoal based, bullet smoker. The Hasty-Bake is, in my humble opinion, the finest multi-purpose cooker out there. It has the ability to direct grill, roast and smoke .... and because of the nature of the adjustable firebox, it can be used like a Santa Maria grill as well.

If I was going to recommend just one grill/smoker to some one, it would be the Hasty-Bake.

That said, if I was going to invest as much in a pure smoker as I did in my all purpose cooker, I would go with an offset that could burn wood or charcoal. I've been slowly gathering info on those and think I'm down to a Jambo Junior or a Lang 36" Hybrid. I've also seriously looked at the Engelbrecht if I wanted another step up from my Hasty-Bake.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Don't call Amajeff99 Shirley...😎

• Notavegan
    commented on 's reply
    Shirley you must be joking.

• Breadhead
    replied
    Ok... let's shoot the works on capacity and ease of use.👍

Here's the Rolls Royce of Kamado cookers!

You can smoke 150lbs of pork butt at one time. You can set this cooker up for that cook and not open the dome for 15 hours if you didn't want to.

CeramicChef says he can control the smoke flavor he puts on his meat in the 32" version of this cooker so he gets real light smoke flavor, medium smoke flavor or so much smoke flavor it's so bitter you can't eat it.

Me being 65 years old, I'm NOT going to stay up all night to feed a stick burner, no matter what!!!

This cooker does meet your ease of use desire... so now you have a viable option.👍

Can't find what you want? We can build it for you... 50% deposit to build to order. Balance due when shipped, and on the water.Most tiles are sorted for shade and tone. Please send us photos of tiles you would like us to try and match. We will send you photos of the sorted tiles for your approval before we build. This

Leave a comment:

• GadjetGriller
    replied
    I do hybrid cooks I start out on the COS I have and get usually 4 or 5 hours of that good wood smoke into the Hunk o Protein then I wrap. After wrapping your just cooking so burning just wood is not needed so I switch over to my Faux Kamado (Akron) w/temp control device. Its as set it and forget it as they come. Set the Alarm on the Wireless Thermometer and go to bed. If something goes wrong the Thermometer alerts me. then once probe tender is achieved into the cooler for its 2 to 3 hour nap. If you just had the Lang you could use your oven set to 250 and finish in that. That way not so much babysitting.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I know what you mean!

• bardsleyque
    replied
    I prefer to cook with wood.I'm over 60 and do all nighters(i cheat by napping)
    welcome from Issaquah Wa

Leave a comment:

• Max Good
    replied
    Your large capacity requirement eliminates many popular residential smokers. There is no shortage of choices in the world of big smokers. Lang and Backwoods are great choices. Lang will be more versatile, but require more skill.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Carley
    replied
    a no brainer from this guy, PBC all the way! Welcome from Rapid City, South Dakota!

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    Welcome from Florida!

Leave a comment:

• LarryO47
    replied
    Welcome from upstate New York.

Leave a comment:

• kmhfive
    replied
    Welcome to fun. I am not an authority on smoking. Still learning… But, I have done brisket and pulled pork for large crowds successfully on a pellet grill. It's not the same smoke control as a stick burner, but it's less man-power intensive. I have also done some smoking on a Weber kettle with the SnS where I can increase the smoke a little with the addition of wood chunks.

Whatever your choice, if you pay attention in the Pit, you'll turn out great BBQ!

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Welcome khlar

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here