Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Mesilla Valley in the Land of Enchantment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to The Pit wmsjensen! We’re excited that you're here and thanks for the support!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) "Huskee" with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.

2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Send me some of those Hatch chillies!!! I would love to get one of those Caja China cookers. I ha a friend that used to bring his to tailgates. That sucker cranked out tons and tons of wonderful Chicken quarters. We would love to see some pictures of that baby in action.

Comment

• wmsjensen
          wmsjensen commented
          Editing a comment
          I know one of the growers in Hatch. The Big Jim chile was named for his father. Jo and Jim have the best chile products. You can buy frozen from them; they ship. It is not the same as roasting fresh yourself, you do lose some of the sugar carmelization.

Haha, Crazy!! That is awesome the pepper is named after him. I have grown some of the Big Jim's with great success, here in Minnesota. I got them from the Pepper Institute in New Mexico. But I am not sure if they are the same or not. Do Hatch chillies HAVE to be grown in the valley to be considered Hatch chillies? wmsjensen Kinda like champagne in France?

Comment

• wmsjensen
          wmsjensen commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, the purist will say has to be Hatch Valley, most of the Mesilla Valley which Hatch is part of grows good chile. Even Deming (Diaz Farms) grows great stuff. The Chile Pepper Institute is right here at NMSU in Las Cruces.

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          The thing is, there is no variety known as "Hatch". Many varieties are grown in and around Hatch--Big Jim, New Mexico 6-4, Barker Extra Hot, NuMex Joe E. Parker,.... They're all the same species: Capsicum annuum, which is the same species as bells, jalapenos, and many more.

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, much of the seed for Hatch chile (and elsewhere) comes from AZ (150 miles west of Hatch), from Ed Curry https://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/genera...icle1_2006.pdf . I have GREAT respect for Hatch chiles (great chile climate), but the Hatch "brand" is mostly marketing.

Welcome from Northern CA. You have some good folks on this site from your neck of the woods. In fact, there was some talk awhile back among some of them about meeting up at the Hatch festival, if I am not mistaken. Willy, I believe has the information. He is a regular contributor and his cook photos will have your mouth watering.

Comment

wmsjensen Plus 1 on Sparky's! Good food and a lot of character.

We attended the Chile Festival in 2015--great time AND I finally learned how to tie a ristra.

Comment

welcome from CT

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Georgia

Comment

Welcome to th' Pit, glad yer here!
              Lookin' forward to hearin' more from ya'!!!
              Loves me some peppers!!!

Comment

Willy is correct. Hatch is mostly about marketing. That's being played out as farmers in Hatch are suing the Hatch Brand of canned chiles for using chiles grown in Mexico. Also, the state has started a "certified" program to combat Mexican imports parading as NM and/or Hatch Green Chile.

Comment

wmsjensen, Welcme to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                  Enjoy "The Pit"! Young Feller I am Glad You Didn't Burn Your Fingers Back in the "60's"❓❓ 👍👍😇👍👍
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here