Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi From the Oz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi From the Oz!

Hey from way down in Australia guys! Been a long time fan and follower of the site. I own WSM 18.5" that I've had for about 8 years, plus a Weber Summit S-670 that I've had for nearly as long, and more recently a brand new FireMagic 790i that I imported myself. I've been a big fan of the Last Meal ribs recipe for long time. In more recent times I've finally found a supplier of fresh cryovac St Louis cut ribs. That was something of a holy grail here for me, prior to that I had to resort to things like getting butchers to try to understand the simple basics of what the St Louis side rib were and cut to order. Now I walk into a massive meat warehouse style place in Sydney and buy them by the 7LB+ double packs. They charge an arm and leg here so to speak for rib cuts, that pack costs $78USD, which is no wonder why the average suburban cheapskate butchers only tender offer baby backs as their "USA style pork ribs" that are often precoated in some awful gloppy marinade!

Anyway, I'm firing up the WSM this afternoon as the weather is beautiful here. Prob will use a mix of hickory chunk and oak wine barrel unless I can find some fruitwood at the local hardware store while stocking up on charcoal. For rub my latest fave is one of Meathead's recs, Blues Hog. I've been through a few rubs such as Zak's, The Squeal, and Three Little Pigs, as well as of course making up some meat dust from time to time.

Last edited by OzCueLuv; November 1, 2014, 07:25 PM.

Welcome and thanks for the support!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Oz, what an awesome first Post and Pic. I look forward to your posts and pics in the future. You are going to like it here!!

Comment

Wow! Them are some pricey ribs, but remember the crazy price the locals were paying for a six pack of coke over there. I visited Cairns two years ago. Beautiful country. How are pork ribs generally sold in Oz?

Comment

Welcome OzCueLuv! I can't believe ribs are so hard to find, especially to find affordable, in other countries. Maybe with folks like yourself requesting and schooling the butchers a change will be under way! And ribs should NEVER be coated in any marinade, shame on them! Haha.

Here's some 'new member' homework for you:
          When you get a minute check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature (tip #1) with your equipment. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of your equipment and your cooks. We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy

Comment

Hi Oz, welcome to the Pit. Those ribs are going to cook up nicely. Let us see the finished pic.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit OCL! I too am shocked at the lengths you have to go to for St Louis ribs down under. You need to give Meathead's Memohis Dust a try on your next ribs. It's all I use now.

Comment

WELCOME Oz!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here