Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the Wet Coast! (Vancouver, Canada)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

Welcome Corvidael ..... I'm just down the road from you. I live in Maple Valley, WA, about 40 minutes southeast of Seattle. We have the distinction, if you want to call it that, of the being the rainiest city in the Continental United States. And the only US city that beats us for rainfall is Hilo in Hawaii. So, I feel your pain!

There are actually a fair number of us from the Pacific Northwest in here. I'm sure the others will chime in.

My two cents worth as far as good cookers for our neck of the woods ... buy quality. Cheap stuff is going to rust, not going to hold temps well, etc. Personally, I have a Hasty-Bake Gourmet Dual Finish and a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5". I've had the Hasty-Bake going on ten years now and I've cooked everything in it that you can imagine .... steak, ribs, pork butt, brisket, pork loin, chicken, turkey, rib roast, etc. I've only had the Weber about a year, but it's a fantastic choice for a smoker.

If you are only going to buy one cooker and want it to do it all, my personal advice is to look at a Hasty-Bake or a kamado of some sort. If that seems too pricey, then a Weber kettle with a Slow-n-Sear would also be a good choice. If you can spend more, get an Engelbrecht Braten 1000 like President Obama gave the British Prime Minister a few years ago.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing what you decide on.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3910.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	287783 Also, a few pics of the stuff in action in the Northwest!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0555.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	287768Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3910.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	287769Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3909.JPG Views:	3 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	287770Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3909.JPG Views:	3 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	287780Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4125.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	287771Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0504.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	287772Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4453.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	287773Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0079.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.97 MB ID:	287774Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0087.JPG Views:	3 Size:	3.26 MB ID:	287775Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7709.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	287776Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8387.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.67 MB ID:	287778Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7747.JPG Views:	2 Size:	5.73 MB ID:	287779Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3909.JPG Views:	3 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	287781Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0060.JPG Views:	2 Size:	6.98 MB ID:	287782
        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome from Richmond BC, just started here in January, great knowledge base. Just starting out with BBQ, grilled for years.

Comment

I'm in Seattle, but I lived in North Vancouver for nearly 7 years. I have found that a Weber kettle (10+ years) survives well here, even stored outside with only random use of a cover (I won't cover a hot kettle, and I don't like to cover a wet kettle and trap the water, so...).

Temperature probes, on the other hand, seem to go bad, sometimes within days. Keeping water out of them while cooking in the rain, drizzle, or just really high humidity seems impossible. At some point I will build a gazebo of sorts for the grills & smokers, but I haven't yet. That may help.

I can second the slow & sear in a Weber: works really well. I also used a PitmasterIQ 110, which is an aftermarket digital controller. Since it's not permanently attached to the kettle, it comes in out of the rain, which is good for electronics :-). I put it in a slightly modified ziplock bag (cutout for the hanging cord, cutout for the fan) which helps shield it from our liquid sunshine when in use.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here