Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from FL

Hello,

My name is Ricardo. I live in Palm City, Florida.

I'm an avid scuba diver, and enjoy hunting Lionfish in our waters. Lionfish are an exotic invasive species originally from the Indo-Pacific region, with 18 venomous spines that can deliver a very painful toxin capable of sending a diver strait to the ER.

Lionfish are causing big problems all over the Caribbean & the Gulf of Mexico. While no one really knows how; we do know that they were introduced circa 1985 and have essentially become a significant challenge. They have no predators in our waters and with a voracious appetite that characterizes the species, Lionfish are stressing native fish stocks to the brink of long term- long lasting impacts.

The good news is: Lionfish are Delicious!

In Florida, we have a tradition of offering smoked fish dip to friends and family, to someone that moves into the neighborhood, or just to enjoy occasionally with fellow co-workers at the office.

I decided to try smoking some Lionfish and prepare a fish dip to see how it would work out. Well... results were so good that after experimenting with my classic 18" Weber kettle charcoal cooker, I decided to see if there was something a bit more professional out there.

I have been reading and researching online and am trying to learn about different types of smokers, stick burners, charcoal, gas, pellet cookers, Komodo units and many other options.

I've bought Meathead Goldwyn's Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling, and learned about this forum... and that's how I'm now posting my first message here.

I want to learn how to smoke fish, pork, beef and whatever crosses my mind. I've been reading a few posts already, essentially trying to familiarize myself with the way information is shared and posted here.

I've been grilling with a classic charcoal Weber kettle for a while, and am currently considering to add a pellet smoker to my modest repertoire. Still researching and looking into that.

I have a lot to learn... have many questions to ask and will be posting here and there as time allows. I like how open and friendly everyone is around here and look forward to getting some great advise from all.

Ricardo

Welcome to the Pit, Ricardo ...

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome Ricardo

Comment

Ricardo Welcome to th' Pit!
          Great intro, pleased t' meetcha!
          Lookin' forward t' it!

Comment

Welcome to the pit Ricardo, you will probably not find a more helpful friendly forum on the net.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Good work on those Lion fish!!!! I took a lot of those suckers out in Belize last year. The Nurse sharks followed us around the reef like dogs. It was awesome. And man o man, are they good. Especially fresh. I am also an avid diver and Lion fish hunter!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ricardo! We’re glad you’re here! I'm a new Florida resident, quite a distance from you in the Pensacola area.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Ricardo, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                  Enjoy "The Pit"!
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Man, if lionfish did that for you, you've got a lot to thank them for!

And welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! You have come to the right places to learn how to smoke food.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ricardo. Since you already have a Weber kettle, you should consider getting a Slow N Sear. That will allow you to start smoking whatever you want right away for a little over $100.

Comment

Welcome from upstate New York, Ricardo.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ricardo!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here