Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello and Cooker Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to The Pit ctkanes! Some great responses to your quest for help above. I'm sure you'll enjoy The Pit, and we're happy to have you here.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
    1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
    2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome aboard and we're glad you joined!

Comment

Wow, thank you for all of the replies and welcomes everyone! Huskee, I made sure to do the homework before I posted... didn't want to commit a faux pas on the etiquette here! You've all given me quite a bit to think about. Unfortunately the Engelbrecht is a bit far out of my price range, but can probably manage the Hasty Bake, especially with zero interest for a few months with PayPal or Amazon. I've always been fond of Weber kettles, and it's nice to have so many folks have such high praise for such a timeless and simple design. I'll let y'all know what I decide to do, and thanks again!

Comment

• ctkanes
          ctkanes commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought about that too. How useful are the window and 2ndary cooking area? Anything else the Gourmet gives you besides those two things?

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          The window isn't of much value unless you work really hard to keep the smoke buildup off of it. And I really only use the secondary cooking area when I'm doing larger summer cooks and have brats going along with everything else.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          On the other hand, I have run two rotisseries at once in the Gourmet. But, all in all, I'd say do the Legacy personally. See my longer post for why.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

ctkanes had to write a post to answer your questions. I bought the cover. It still looks good, hasn't torn, etc in the 9 years I've had it. My less expensive Weber covers never last that long. I think it's worth it to get the cover.

I do cooks just for my family all the time, several steaks or a tri-tip or chicken. It's no harder, in my experience, to fire up the Hasty-Bake than it was to fire up my Weber kettle.

Here's input on charcoal use. For the Gourmet I need a chimney of charcoal for a typical family dinner cook. I really need that much in order to heat up the interior of the grill. Not sure where you live, but I live in the Pacific Northwest so even my summer temps don't get much hotter than 80 degrees. Throughout most of the year my high temp will be 65 degrees, or less. I need a fair amount of charcoal to heat up the Gourmet. When we have a heat wave and temps are in the 90's, I can get the grill hotter much faster. Something to consider.

If I did it all over again, knowing I would have the WSM 22.5 and a Hasty-Bake, I would buy the Legacy not the Gourmet. Much less internal air space to heat up and not paying the premium for the top end Hasty-Bake. I would still be able to cook two turkeys or four pork butts in it. And I bet 2/3 of a chimney heats the Legacy up really nicely.

As far as charcoal goes, I cook with Kingsford Professional in the Hasty-Bake and Kingsford Blue Bag in the WSM. I have used lump off and on in the Hasty-Bake, but haven't seen any particular advantage to it.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            ctkanes I have the cover, the additional workspaces/extenders and the rotisserie(s). You won't need two of those, obviously. Maybe not even one, depending. I've never bought grill grates for it.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            ctkanes I have the Williams Sonoma grill tools, which I love. A Maverick ET-732 and a Fireboard thermometer. I buy a new grill mat to put underneath every year. And I use a Weber chimney to start my charcoal.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, and I bought the side table. That's where I stick my thermometers and tongs. :-)

Has anyone suggested a Kettle with an SnS? LOL

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not sure ;-)

Welcome to he pit...
          A kettle with an SNS is my suggestion...
          ​​​​​​​Just in case it wasn't mentioned....​

Comment

ecowper , how easy is your Hasty Bake to clean? I got spoiled by the PBC, (about 5 minutes' cleanup) and the WSCGC takes longer (grate to clean) but at least all surfaces are easily accessible.

Is that the case with the HB? I'm just curious, since I've always been tempted by it (for when I win the Gold Medal Giveaway )

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Every cook I scrape the grills clean. Once a month I burn them clean with a half chimney of charcoal. Every 3 months I scrape all the crud from the firebox, rails, etc. All the surfaces are easily accessible from lid or fire door.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, ecowper. Good info to know.
              K.

Welcome aboard ctkanes. I say let's take a poll.

All those in favor of the "26" w/SnS vote aye,

all those for other stuff, vote other stuff. Most important, eat good & have fun.

Comment

ctkanes, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and participation are Mandatory!
              Enjoy the Pit!
              You Have Just Asked the Unanswerable Question, Right up There with What Kind of Wife Should You Buy Next Time? I have had a Hastey Bake and it's a Great Grill, I just Couldn't Afford the Charcoal to Grill for a Small Family! I eventually Gave it to a Friend to Sell at the Flee Market He Was involved with? I have Owned Weber 22 1/2" Kettles for over 40 Years! The S 'n S and Drip & Griddle are Two Must Have Accessories! I do think if I live Long enough I will get a 26" Weber Kettle next time!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	25 Size:	5.05 MB ID:	282019Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	63 Size:	496.1 KB ID:	282020Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	57 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	282021Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	282024Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	282025Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	282022Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	282023
              Attached Files

Comment

• ctkanes
                ctkanes commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, that is quite a setup!! Can't wait to try some of the recipes out on the forums! Thanks for the tips!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here