Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello and Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and Questions!

Just signed up today - I don't currently have any equipment.

I am looking for advice on buying a grill/smoker. I am primarily interested in smoking meat, but I like the versatility of a grill.

I am looking to buy a gas grill - but require something that works with natural gas - I have a connection already set up on my back porch. Can a grill be used for smoking (I assume by using indirect heat)? Any suggestions for (natural) gas grills that work well for this - and if so, how do I set up the grill for smoking. (I suspect this has been asked and answered before, so links to other posts are fine. I just purchased the Meathead book, so references to any discussion in that book would work too.

Thanks in advance.

David

Welcome to the Pit!! Happy to have you.
    Pretty much any LP grill can be used for NG.
    There are a lot of options here. It all depends on how much you wanna spend. Can be as little as $200.00 and as much as $10,000 +

How much do you wanna spend?

Take a look at this article. And let us know what questions you have. This will have everything you need.
    You can set up a gas grill to get excellent smoke roasted barbecue if you know how. Here's how gas grills work, the best setups, and how to maintain them.

Comment

Welcome! Spinaker 's questions are right on. Answer those and you will get good advice. However, the more $$ you have the more fun we will all have telling you how to spend it. If you are the upper end of Spinaker's range, we may even move in and help you set up six smokers/grills.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois HamsterDR

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Tons of info on AR about equipment. I suggest starting on this page, http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/ . You can put in your criteria and see what items come up. Read the reviews and see all of the comments under each item reviewed.

Comment

Welcome HamsterDR
              Last edited by DWCowles; February 24, 2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                Welcome to the Pit!! Happy to have you.
                Pretty much any LP grill can be used for NG.
                There are a lot of options here. It all depends on how much you wanna spend. Can be as little as $200.00 and as much as $10,000 +

How much do you wanna spend?

Take a look at this article. And let us know what questions you have. This will have everything you need.
                http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ill_setup.html
                Thanks for the very fast response. As to price, I have been looking at the Weber Spirit E-310 for natural gas which is $519 at Lowe's - so that is about the price I was looking at. It seems this grill can be used for low temp indirect cooking, and smoking with the addition of some wood chips. I am mainly looking for cooking brisket and ribs and getting a good smoke flavor - not steaks or hamburgers. Reviews of the natural gas grills say a gas contractor is needed to install the gas connection but I have an existing gas pipe and valve already installed for that purpose, so I assume I could just connect the grill gas line and be set. I will want delivery and setup (especially the natural gas burners and regulators) - I hope Lowe's has that available.

Is this a good choice? Good alternatives I should be looking at?

David

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from upstate New York, David.

Comment

Welcome to th' Pit. Sounds like yer on th' right trail.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit HamsterDR ...

You say... "I am mainly looking for cooking brisket and ribs and getting a good smoke flavor - not steaks or hamburgers."

I'd suggest saving some money by going with a 22.5" Weber kettle equipped with the Slow n Sear... it will cost about $200. A gasser is NOT going to give you what you're looking for. The rig I suggest is a charcoal burner but is very simple to use. There are 100's maybe 1000's of Pit members that use that setup. It will give you a better brisket and/or ribs cook than a gasser. You can make the gasser work but it's not really made for that.

The Weber Kettle without the SnS... was not made for that cook either, but with the invention of the SnS it's easy to get tasty briskets and ribs from that cooker. Plus... if you do ever grill steaks or burgers they will be the best steaks and burgers you've ever grilled at home.

Comment

You may also look into a pellet smoker if you're not looking to sear what you're cooking. But be aware once you get your first cooker MCS will kick in and you will than have another grill to do what the other one cain't.
                          Best of luck with your search. And feel free to ask more questions if needed.

HamsterDR welcome aboard. Great name.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana!

Comment

Welcome! Broil King Baron 4 burner gasser. Weber 22 or 26 inch kettle with Slow and Sear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here