Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Hershey Pennsylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Hershey Pennsylvania

Hello All. I've been coming to Amazing Ribs for several years now. Joined the pit a few months ago, I have been just observing intermittently since. I found the site as I was trying to master the use of my Weber kettles. As a guy with a science degree, I have been very intrigued with the science behind grilling and BBQ. My increased interest and intensity in my outdoor live fire cooking skills came about when the "EGG" craze hit, and some "friends" blatantly disrespected my Weber kettles (to my face) as some sort of cheapo knockoff grills....this really annoyed me. I have nothing against the Egg or any form of cooker BTW. So, I began a relentless quest to master the kettle and produce food at the highest level. I still speak with my "EGG" friends, and they seem to have softened their rhetoric but their tunnel vision in one direction seems odd to me. I was able to accomplish my goal with the help of this site. I have now recently purchased my own Kamado Joe Big Joe, which I really do enjoy using...but I consider it more of a charcoal oven/roaster/smoker...my Weber remains my "live fire" option and I really think it remains my best tool to cook steaks, chops, wings, etc... I particularly enjoy how the Pit remains so civil, with everyone very respectful of different techniques and methods to achieve the same goal of good food. Evidence based science, which is peer reviewed, is hard to deny. There is plenty of that here, and I really enjoy it.
    My love for outdoor cooking started with my father and his Weber kettle. He cooked a lot of steaks over the years, no matter the season. We moved to Saudi Arabia when I was 11, and he brought the kettle with and continued to cook there. When I returned to the states at 15 I got a job washing dishes at a nice restaurant. The chef and sous chef took a liking to me. They began having me come up to the prep line, and began teaching me how to use knives, cut veggies, make stocks, soups, trim tenderloins and NY Strip Loins. After about a year he had me work with the Sous Chef on the restaurant front line on slow weeknights , working the broiler and flat top. I learned a lot... and i was hooked. I was very close to attending culinary school at the CIA after graduation but decided on the US Army instead. I served active duty with the US Army Rangers for about 7 years. I had a small Weber Smoky Joe stashed out behind the barracks, and guys in my platoon would enjoy weekends cooking steaks from the commissary out back. I drifted into the medical field during my service, so upon my exit, I headed to college towards the healthcare field; where I remain today.
    I love cooking outside on my decks, any season. My fresh venison on the grills just cant be beat. However, I particularly enjoy my friends around the grills. Friendship just can't be beat. The food is good, but its the journey I really love most. I hope to become acquainted with many of you, and learning from your success and failures. I hope I can help others along the way as well. So, that's about it. I did my signature with my equipment. Don't have pictures up, but I'll work on that. I've got company coming tonight. I need to salt my ribeyes and get them in the fridge, and the venison steaks need a mustard smear. Its going to be 64 degrees today, unheard of for central PA in mid Feb. Gotta go.

Welcome from upstate New York, KevinG

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from Northern Virginia! Great intro. Hershey is an awesome area. The kids always enjoyed their ice hockey tournaments up there. Thank you for your service. Enjoy The Pit!

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

Welcome to the pit KevinG

Comment

Welcome from North Carolina. Enjoy the unusual (but nice) weather!!!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory!!! KevinG
                Thanks fer yer service, from a recoverin' Seabee!
                Ya' obviously know: ya kin' make great food on any cooker. No need fer alla that 'snobbery'
                Nuthin' wrong with a bit o' 'friendly rivalry', but it stops right there.
                That ol' dog jus' don't hunt, no more.
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 18, 2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit KevinG, what an AWESOME intro! It's a shame that there are so many with blinders on as to other cookers. What's equally strange is most people don't seem to have that same narrow-mindedness regarding other preference choices, like driving a truck, car or van, or what style shoes someone wants to wear. But if they have an Egg and you don't, then you're just a wannabe pitmaster. [Roll my eyes]. I think it's a lot of "I want to feel validated about my purchase choice so I'll berate others in order to feel superior". We strive to keep that nonsense out of here as you've noted. ALL cookers get us to the same place- great food with family & friends. Kudos to your for proving an inexpensive kettle can keep up with the Joneses, and in many cases pass them if you have good info!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                  1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                  2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Howdy from the Great State of Jefferson, and thank you for your military service. Isn't Hershey, PA the home of the late, great Dick Winters?

Comment

• KevinG
                      KevinG commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes sir! Major Winters had a small place just outside of town. A great man to the end. Ran into him at the small grocery in town once, he noted the small ranger decal on my truck. He is sadly missed. A very heavily traveled bridge in the township is named in his honor.

Well said Huskee. This is a very supportive and fun group of cooks and grillers that share ideas, promote and encourage one another, and foster fellowship. I have never once felt intimidated or insulted by anyone on this site. Thanks for all of the work that you moderators do to ensure that remains so.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Kevin.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Kevin ...

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit! You will,be able to share on two fronts - Webers and Kamados

Comment

• EdF
                            EdF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            But then he'll get interested in some other things too... ;-)

Welcome, Kevin!

Welcome aboard KevinG. Great intro, thank you for your service, and we look forward to having you around!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here