Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Retired from IBM as a design engineer. Love cooking and eating and drinking! Used to have propane grills and got to the point where I hated them. Never cooked anything that we really liked and burned a lot of meats. When I first saw the Big Green Egg my wife said "We will never own something that looks like that." Hmm.........so after the Green Egg was delivered and I did some tenderloin her whole attitude changed. Did a brine butt the other day and she must have said 5 times how good it was. Meals are just outstanding and I love working with "fire" again. It reminds me of when we were kids and put potatoes on hot coals and then dirt on top. Ahhhh......what a smell and taste. Nothing like food cooked on fire.

But one area that I haven't mastered yet is ribs which is why I joined. While excellent tasting the ribs are not "fall off the bone" yet. The problem is that while most recommend cooking for 5 or 6 hours my ribs are at 200 deg after only 3 hours using indirect cooking so I assume the collagen has not yet done its thing yet. I have used temps of 350, 300, and 250 deg and still the same. So this I need to learn what I'm doing wrong. Can't wait to try other recipes on this site.

Welcome Bob... you will be cooking great ribs in no time! There are lots of great pitmasters here!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Bob! Have you seen the "Last Meal Ribs" article? You'll see we don't consider "fall off the bone" ideal.

Please check out the Welcome and Announcements channel for The Pit Guidelines and tips on how to use the forum. Tip #1 will help you complete your signature

Comment

Welcome Bob!! MH recipe for Ribs is great. I use a temp of 225*F box temp that I get from my Maverick. Some racks are only 4 hrs and others 5-6 hrs. I usually rub mine 48 hrs before going on the smoker. Ribs are funny about measuring the IT and a lot of folks use the bend method to see if they are done. I usually use my Thermopen and check the temp at the thickest part of the rack between the last two ribs. I get to at least 195*F which breaks down the collagen but does not make it fall off the bone. I have never had a bad rack since I have been using AR for my technical reference.

Here is MH's Rib recipe.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...ribs_ever.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here