Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Massachusetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Massachusetts

Greetings from southeastern Massachusetts. I caught the smoking bug last October when I finally broke down and purchased an MES 30 1st generation. I had so much fun with that smoker and the food was so good that I had to upgrade. My next purchase was a Rec Tec. Unfortunately I found that was just a bit to small also and bought a Cookshack sm150 off craigslist. All three units would put out amazing Q, but I was getting tired of people saying it was not real Q so I decided to try a stick burner. I wanted something with a lot more capacity but still keeping a smaller foot print. After searching too many sites I decided to build my own rather than spent a ton of cash. Below is the smoker that I built. The main grates are 48" long and the side box grates are 16"X22.5", so all together I have 24 sq. ft. of grill surface. All grates are stainless. Well, in order to pay for the build I had to part with one of my other smokers, so I sold the Cookshack and that paided for this. I have to say that I love cooking with wood. The Rec Tec is used mostly as a grill now and the MES 30 comes out for the really small smokes. Anyways, this site has been a great help and I want to thank everyone that is a part of it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20141011_091041.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	27314 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_163707.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	27312 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_163614.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	27316
    Attached Files

Nice rig! Looks fantastic!

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! That's one nice rig. Share more pics and talk to us about design. Reverse flow?

Comment

Thank you. I started with a 120 gallon propane tank. The fire box is 1/4" and the side box is 3/16" It is a reverse flow built on a jayco pop up trailer frame that I cut down. The reverse flow plate is water tight and holds over Seven gallans of water (I have yet to cook with any water in it but wanted the option).The front box holds all my wood 24X23X52 , lump and goodies and my tables and chairs go under the main chamber. The smoker weighs in at 1320 pounds without supplies. From start to finish it took 5 weeks to build between kids, work, and the wife.

Name:	20140801_182025.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	27327 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140802_192008.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	27329
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Smokedstanley; October 22, 2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

A few more

Name:	20140804_171833.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	27331 Click image for larger version

Name:	20141018_152810.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	27332 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140805_193422.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	27333

Comment

• tomtel84
            tomtel84 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good job!!! Looks AWESOME!! I was going to build mine but I just didn't have the time. Building definitely saves a lot of money.

Man thats SAWWEEEEET!

Comment

Smoker envy - I want to cook with wood!

Comment

Very nice! You have some great talent and I forsee you starting a custom smoker service!

When you get a minute, check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here (but it looks like you already got that down)...

We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here